German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize....

We purchased a puppy from a "breeder" with unlimited AKC papers. When we picked him up, they marked out the limited box. They will not in any way shape or form, change it. Any ideas on what to do??

And that's our Koda. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Then you purchased a dog with limited registration. What made you think they were selling unlimited? Did you have it in writing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I knew someone was going to say that..sorry I didn't mention it. We paid for unlimited. And no, unfortunately there is no contract. I hope I could do something other than just a really expensive lesson learned.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I knew someone was going to say that..sorry I didn't mention it. We paid for unlimited. And no, unfortunately there is no contract. I hope I could do something other than just a really expensive lesson learned.
I asked because we ran into something similar, then found it was a mistake. The website clearly explained when it was limited and when it wasn't, and they did correct it. If you paid extra, do what Steve said and copy any pages on their site that show different prices for limited vs unlimited. Then if you have a receipt showing what you paid, they have to make good on it. You might be able take them to small claims court. If they won't give full registration, they owe you money back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do they have a website showing their different pricing? Capture that and show it as a comparison to what you paid. Do you have a cancelled check and or receipt?
I asked because we ran into something similar, then found it was a mistake. The website clearly explained when it was limited and when it wasn't, and they did correct it. If you paid extra, do what Steve said and copy any pages on their site that show different prices for limited vs unlimited. Then if you have a receipt showing what you paid, they have to make good on it. You might be able take them to small claims court. If they won't give full registration, they owe you money back.
We do have all of the paperwork on him. That's a good idea to screen print..thank you.
These people send me messages laughing when I ask them why they did that. I know a lot of people will change it once they turn 2 and you get them checked but they absolutely refuse. A girl found me on fb and said they did the exact same thing to her.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I know its a money difference, but other then breeding him and registering the litter, he's still your dog in every way. If you think he was worth the money with full, he's still worth it. Nobody knows if a puppy will grow up to be a dog that should be bred, so with no contract, maybe its not worth the fight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know its a money difference, but other then breeding him and registering the litter, he's still your dog in every way. If you think he was worth the money with full, he's still worth it. Nobody knows if a puppy will grow up to be a dog that should be bred, so with no contract, maybe its not worth the fight.
I think they shouldn't be allowed to sell pups.lol No, we would never give him up either way.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
There is the ethics aspect.. If they swindle people on papers they might be lying about other important factors with the dogs.. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is the ethics aspect.. If they swindle people on papers they might be lying about other important factors with the dogs.. Just my thoughts
Exactly. He's been checked out as much as possible at this point. We are getting another pup who's dad is in the Washington area. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
There is no reason to charge more for unlimited vs limited registration. I can't believe any ethical breeder would do that. Obviously, by charging you extra for unlimited but then changing it to limited shows that they are NOT ethical, but still. I don't know a lot about this stuff, but if it were me I'd contact the AKC about how to proceed, especially if you have proof that the price was supposed to be for unlimited.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Are you planning to breed the dog or show the dog in conformation?

If not, than it is totally a non-issue.

If you are, take the puppy back and tell her you want your money back. Call her bluff. The dog is totally worthless if that was the intent when purchasing the puppy. Get your money back. Give the dog back. Make sure that when the next people fill out the papers, they do not black that section out.

Full registration doesn't change the dog at all. He doesn't care. It doesn't change his pedigree. But it does allow his progeny to be registered, and it allows him to be shown in conformation. So few people are actually showing, and those that do intend to show, breeders are generally happy to give full registration to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If you are, take the puppy back and tell her you want your money back. Call her bluff. The dog is totally worthless if that was the intent when purchasing the puppy. Get your money back. Give the dog back. Make sure that when the next people fill out the papers, they do not black that section out.

Full registration doesn't change the dog at all. He doesn't care. It doesn't change his pedigree. But it does allow his progeny to be registered, and it allows him to be shown in conformation. So few people are actually showing, and those that do intend to show, breeders are generally happy to give full registration to.
I read all of the forums on here about breeding and I'm scared to say that some day we might think about it. That's why we ordered the female pup we're waiting for.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I read all of the forums on here about breeding and I'm scared to say that some day we might think about it. That's why we ordered the female pup we're waiting for.
Ok, then. You can try to contact the AKC. However, the AKC offers breeders the choice of providing limited registrations and full registrations. If others are complaining to the AKC about this, or you have evidence, snapshot of the website detailing their policy and cost, and your cancelled check, it may work.

I would try a different tact. I would contact the breeder and tell them that you are signing the dog up for conformation classes, that you have a handler who thinks the dog has potential, and you want to show the dog. That they can change that status on the dog, and you are willing to pay for what the additional cost is to change the papers at this point. It is not 100% honest. But it sounds like they weren't honest with you. And the idea of someone showing their dog might be a big enough incentive for them to do that. Maybe. It is worth a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That is a great idea as they already seem to have some full ego's. I like how you did that. :)
I really do appreciate everyone's help as I'm pretty tired of beating my head against a wall.
AND...the girl that messaged me has all the screen shots and proof they did it to her with Koda's brother so I'm sure she'll contact the AKC with me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts