German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just like with anything else, we all have preferences and dogs are no exception. What is a breed of dog you wouldn't own under any circumstances? No big explanation is needed . I personally don't have any dog that I dislike ,but I probably wouldn't have anything of the toy variety. I don't know though, I've said that I would never get a cat ,but once I met my husband, I love them as much I do dogs. If I met any dog who needed help, I would help it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Chihuahuas, yorkies, any 'toy' dog really. And I have nothing against pits AT all, but I couldn't see myself owning one. Wait, and Chinese cresteds.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Having groomed dogs for over 35 years, I'd have to say there are very few breeds that I WOULD own...!

Reactions: Benjaminb

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Having groomed dogs for over 35 years, I'd have to say there are very few breeds that I WOULD own...!
Yeah there are very few i'd consider actually owning. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Anything corded, poodles, old english sheepdogs, afghans, broken coated terriers...pretty much anything that needs a lot of clipping/trimming.

Any breed I have to bend over to pet.

Filas - their described temperament scares the heck outta me

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Small dogs. Not a fan.

The lazy style breeds. Too active.

Poodles (and any of the mixes)

and many others. I agree with the post above.... after all these years, there's actually very few breeds I would own.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I like bigger dogs, but I would never turn away a small dog or let one that is on the streets stay that way. The toy breeds are okay but not my favorite...there was one that tried to eat my golden on Sunday, boy what a little brat that dog was..his owner said that he hasn't learned his manners yet at 1.5..I think that the owner should be more careful, because next time her dog might go for the wrong dog..I told her its good that it was a golden that he attacked, meaning they are generally more easy going then lets say a Rott.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
This guy.. LOL

According to the DNA test they ran on him he is pug, mastiff and American Terrier. All I know is he has more attitude than any dog I've met.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Any of them except a Dachshund. And of course a GSD.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
NO huskies. Heck no. Never. Not even a mix. Nothing corded either although the Komondors are an interesting breed. Likely not anything that requires a haircut every 6-8 weeks to look like a dog still. Might MIGHT consider a standard poodle if I knew for a fact I could shave the dog myself but very unlikely. No chinese cresteds either even if it were a powder puff. No hairless breeds in general. Hairless cats and dogs trip me out. Not likely any hounds either.

Sheesh I'm picky lol. Let's just say I'll very likely stick with herding breeds and working breeds that appeal.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
*Any* brachycephalic breed or mix! Ug, NO WAY! I don't like how they look, snort, cannot breathe like a dog should.

I also really don't like Rottweilers, most terriers, or dogs with long wiry coats that cover their face.

There are plenty of breeds I love but will probably never own because they aren't a lifestyle fit (Akita, Great Pyrenees, etc).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Would never own a small dog of any breed. And the only ones I would own are GSD, (duh) doberman, and some other big dogs that don't drewl and are not super people friendly where all they do is jump on strangers and can't even be considered a protection dog. Basically I want to feel safer with a dog and have a friend at the same time like my dog now, she is perfect :)

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
*Any* brachycephalic breed or mix! Ug, NO WAY! I don't like how they look, snort, cannot breathe like a dog should.

I also really don't like Rottweilers, most terriers, or dogs with long wiry coats that cover their face.

There are plenty of breeds I love but will probably never own because they aren't a lifestyle fit (Akita, Great Pyrenees, etc).
That is pretty much exactly my list. I add some of the other Bulldoggy and Mastiffy type dogs, or dogs bred for things I just can't create for them - Rhodesian Ridgeback as an example.

ETA - I don't have problems with many small breeds that don't fit the above types - they can be creepy smart and don't think people like that they are being out-thought by 8# of dog. :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
English bulldog. #1 breed I will NEVER own.
I agree with most people here though, there aren't a lot of dogs I would own. I don't like poodles, doodles or poos. Little mop breeds, boxers and golden retrievers are also high on my list of breeds I will never own.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My list is fairly long so I will tell you the breeds I WOULD own lol... GSDs (obviously), Dobermans, Rottweilers, and possibly great danes,dalmations and border collies but thats about it not really interested in any other breds they are either too much work (grooming), too small ( I hate any toy breeds), or not a lifestyle fit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I would Own a Belgian Malanios or a Dutch Shepherd :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have a long list of dogs I wouldn't own, tho I really have nothing against them, they just aren't my cup of tea:)

Besides my gsd's, I will always have an aussie in my life, would love a mal, and even a good herding dog mix wouldn't be out of the question:)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I enjoy large and small dogs, but at this point I think the only dogs I WOULD own are German Shepherds (that's it pretty much for large dogs) or a Papillon (I have a shih tzu and while I love his personality .. the grooming ugh).

1 - 20 of 118 Posts