German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 3 and a half month male gsd breaths very fast at times, especially at night when he is sleeping. We noticed this a month ago the night we first got him. We thought it would pass and it was just a puppy thing. A month later his still does this and he breaths very loud too when his heart is racing. It can be scary at times. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think if you give more info as to what the pup was doing just before the fast breathing begins, it would help and others more experienced than me could offer better insight.

As for fast breathing during sleep, were there any other signs that the pup was dreaming? I've observed that just before my boy starts an active running dream, his breathing quickens and a leg or two will sometimes twitch. As a pup, when he was crated, he never whined or vocalized, but he would pant which was a clear indication that he needed to potty.

Just some thoughts. Others will probably come on to help you sort it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are going to the vet soon, also to get his shots. We have spent a lot of time outside lately because the weather has been so much. I don’t think it’s heat stroke because we provide him with water, ice and shade. Even on days where we spend most of the time inside he still breaths fast. He’s tired at the end of the day most of the time. When we put him down and we go to watch some tv, I usually start hearing him breathing very fast and loud, it doesn’t stop. I’ve even tried to wake him up and try and calm him down but it doesn’t slow down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts