German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can't deny that GSD ears are what makes them look so regal. Most GSD owners love those ears up and stress out when they don't come up. I know I did. My puppy is now 10 months old. I tried taping, gluing and Tear Mender and none of them worked. All the literature I read made me believe that it was too late b/c of his age. I didin't give up. When he was 8.5 months I began gluing two strips of BreathRight Strips in a narrow X formation inside his ear close to the outside edge and just above the hump on the bottom of his ear.. I used Skin Bond. When it came out I would do it again. No one really noticed it since I used the tan colored ones. I went through a few boxes. When the strips fell out I would wait to see how long the ear would stand. Usually a few hours at the most. It has now been 4 days and his ear has not fallen. It doesn't look like it will either. His ears are slightly soft so when he runs that ear wobbles but it stays up now. Even if his ear never came up I would definitey use the strips. We like the ears up and this is definitely a great alternative to implants or down ears.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i tried this, but, the strips only stayed in for a second! they popped right out as soon as he ran around. am i doing it wrong?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only the skin bond will work. You need to have everything ready. Have someone help you at first. Put a small amount on the inside of ear where you will put the strip. Put some on the strip as well. Put the first one in vertical just above the bottom part that humps out a bit. Hold the strip to the glue in the ear for about 1 minute. Then do it again with another strip making an X. Except make it a very narrow X so that it is slightly on top of the other strip. This will give it more strength to hold the ear and both strips. Be sure to put glue on the ear and strip when you do second piece. Hold again for one minute. Give him something to do so that he doesn't shake his head too much. The strips will usually stay in for a 4-5 days. I went through a few boxes before it finally stood on its own. If you use the tan ones they are not very noticeable inside the ear. No one noticed them when we went out for walks. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i just ordered the skin bond thursday so hopefully i'll get it by monday. i was also thinking about maybe using the insulation tubing with the skin bond. have you heard about that?
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No haven't heard of that one. I tried the tp roll and that didn't work. Also tried sponge hair rollers. Seems the strips worked the best and did the job. One day I will show b4 and after pics. It gets easier after you do it the first time. Use the glue thinly on ear amd strip so as not to get too much outside of the strip when you hold it in place. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wonder if it would be safe to use the TearMender with the strips???????? Can't seem to locate skin bond.

·
Registered
31 Posts
maximus just turned 7 mos yesterday. i bought the breathe right strips today and was wondering the same thing about the tearmender glue and strips...i haven't gotten my skin bond yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
OMG!!! I just tried the tearmender and the breathe right strips and his ears are up and beautiful! Maximus looks soooooo handsome...I can't stop staring at his ears up and not flopping!!! Thanks so much Tranquility!!! I did have to use 3 of them on one ear b/c I didn't get the crease all the way...it was kind of billowing in a little bit (if that makes sense). But, I think 3 is ok, right?

Annemarie, the tearmender seems to be holding them just fine. I guess I'll just have to expect some ear hair to come out with the strips...whenever they fall out. I think Tranquility said 4-5 days...

I'm so amazed at how gorgeous he looks with his ears up!! I hope this works!!! Thanks so much again!!! I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Tear Mender works too but it does irritate the ear a bit and it is harder to get off if you get it on the hair.It also doesn't stay on the ear as long as the skin bond. You can buy it in a surgical store, or online. If the strips come out do it again right away, but keep checking to see if they will stand on thier own every now and then. 3 is fine. whatever it takes. Like I said earlier, if the ears don't stay up at least you will be able to have the strips handy for whenever you want to see those beutiful ears up and most people won't know they are there..My boy is going on 11 months and they are up now, finally!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think I'll wait and get the skin bond online. I'm afraid the Tearmender might irritate her poor ears. I did try glueing them together again but it only held for a couple of hours as they are all hard from the original glue residue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The residue will peel right off and that's one of the reasons why it may be irritating for them. When it gets hard it sticks more to the ear than to the strip. With the skin bond it sticks to both and it's made for skin unlike TM which is made for fabric.. I know when I used TM I kept poking at his ears to peeel it. With the skin bond it just seems to disolve or it's easier to peel away any residue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Darn...I should have waited for the skin bond, but, who knows when I'll get it!! Hopefully it will be delivered today...so I'll be ready to reglue with the skin bond.
Tranquility, do you think your pup was still teething and that's why it took so long for his ears to come up? And, so now your pup is 11 months and ears are up for good?! That's fantastic...there's hope!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just came up with another bright idea!!!!!!! Just got a new remote for the tv and it came in one of those hard plastic packages, bet you could cut it into strips and glue them in, it's pretty rigid and looks like it would be a good option.

My friend also suggested glueing in a piece of styrofoam cup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok...i'm going to attempt to paste in a picture of my pup Maximus with the breathe right strips in. You might not be able to see them too good, but you'll definitely see his ears are up!!

And, here's a pic with his ears floppy...

I hope I did it right...if there's no pictures, sorry...I'll keep trying.

Annemarie, I'd try the insulation tubing!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the reason my pup had problems with one of his ears staying down is b/c He had elbow dysplasia and Pano and I think he was in pain a lot and you know how they tend to keep thier ears back or down when they are in pain. Also, he is not the only pup in the litter with soft ears. One of his litter mates has an ear down and one has perfect ears.. I don't think it had anything to do with teething. I am against calcium supplementing. Thier ears will come up with or without our help if they are going to come up. Some pups ears are up at 8 weeks and others not until eight months and I don't think anyone knows why the ears act the way they do otherwise there wouldn't be so many different ways and measures to fix them. I started to be pro-active when he was six months old and I just didn't give up. One of the reasons I used BR strips was b/c it allowed the ear to be free to use it's muscles while running etc., If it has something hard in it then the ear muscles can't work naturally b/c they're moving against something and the dog may not use the muscle properly. With the strips. The ear flexes as it would normally but the ear stays up as well.It really is a per dog issue. If your girls ears are very soft and flop over without a base or if she just puts them up now and then and has a base. Sometimes it can be an attitude thing. Can she get them up at all? I think the base has to be there in order for this to work. By base I mean the hard part on the back side of the ear that comes up from the back of the head.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maximus' ears definitely go up once in a while...at very random times. I think he has a pretty good base going so hopefully with some perserverance we'll get those big things up!
I totally agree with you about the strips. I love having the majority of his ear free, it doesn't seem so invasive. I really hope it works.
Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Where to get the skin bond glue ? I have already bought TM glue. I haven't tried glueing or doing anything yet , but , needing to asap I feel.

Thanks........

1 - 20 of 98 Posts