German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that our nearly 12yo female, Kali, has breast cancer.
Thus far the lumps are small, but numerous, and we've no idea how quickly it might spread. Seems sometimes it only takes a few weeks and the dog is gone, other times it might take months or even years.

Needless to say, at nearly 12 years old, no way are we going to put her through chemo or radiation or anything like that. She already has severe spondylosis too. Thus far, the spondylosis has been easy to manage and doesn't cause her much discomfort, and that only rarely. But we aren't going to attempt surgery to remove the lumps either. At her age, and with her spondylosis, the surgery and recovery would be too hard on her, and since there are multiple lumps of all varying sizes the chances of getting it all would be small, so surgery would probably be useless.

So, I guess it's a race to see what kills her first... old age, her back, and now cancer. God, I hate it when they get old.

Of all the dogs we've had, I've never in my life had a dog with cancer before, so I'm completely out of my element here and ignorant of what treatment options are available.

My question for you all is... does anyone know of any minimally invasive, alternative or homeopathic type treatments for breast cancer in dogs? I know we can't cure it, but what I'm hoping for is to find a way to slow it's progress. With her age and back problems we know she won't be with us much longer, and if she gets to the point where quality of life is significantly impacted of course we'll make the hard decision. But if there is any hope of slowing the cancer to stave off the inevitable and buy ourselves more time with our happy, playful cuddle bunny, we'd like to try it.

Chris

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Gosh Chris, I'm sorry about this diagnosis. I'm sure it must be devastating to you and your family. The others here are far better versed in cancer than I am and will be very helpful. But I'll keep Kali and your whole pack in my prayers.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I really don't know what to say except I am so sorry
to hear about Kali and my heart goes out to you and your family.

I wish I had some sure fire treatment for her but I don't.
I don't understand why animals have to go through this too. Not fair they can't tell us what's wrong.

I'll say some prayers for you!!!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I am so sorry Chris....I believe TMARIE would be a good person to ask on the board, she is dealing with cancer in her Jake and got lots of advice and website suggestions on her thread, might be able to search for it here in the Health section.

I believe Jake is doing very well right now too. I hope the best for your Kali...she is stunning btw!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Reading posts like this breaks my heart, I'm so sorry!!! I wish I had some answers for you but can't come up with a single suggestion. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and Kali and I'll be crossing my fingers you'll find something to retard the progress of the cancer.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Chris,

I am going as ask a dumb question, did the Vet do a Needle Biopsie or just an educated guess. My MIL's dog got lumps on her Mammary glands and the Vet said it could be Caner or just fatty tumors. She lived for 2 or 3 years with her lumps, yes they got bigger but she was active and happy until the last two weeks of her life.

I know there was a lot of discussion with TMarie and diet. Let me check the links in the sticky post.

Val

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Sorry to hear about Kali, Chris. From what I remember cancer feeds on sugars so you would want to limit carbs, grains, high sugar vegetables, etc.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Here's a link for supplements that are supposed to be useful (or at least, not harmful when reasonably dosed) when an animal has cancer. There are so many though. How to choose?

http://www.charlesloopsdvm.com/cancer.htm

(I searched around about Dr. Loops. Apparently, he's not just an "internet vet," but writes and has a real practice as well.)

I like vitamin C, zinc, fish oil, Spirurina. This vet also talks about flax seed oil and cottage cheese.

Ruth? Jean? Lisa? Ruq? Where are our herbs people?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
There is an herbal combo that's supposed to be amazing in fighting cancer but I can't remember the name of it.
I will find out though because I know they sell it where I shop.

Chris, I'm very sorry about your dog. The cottage cheese and flax seed oil is supposed to fight cancer but I haven't heard of any miraculous recoveries from it. It can't hurt though.

I would go to http://www.onlynaturalpet.com and type in cancer. You will find many good immune strengthening combos. Read the reviews and look for other people who have dogs with cancer. I think a lot depends on the type of cancer but an immune strengthener certainly cannot hurt! I have used the Pet Immune Strengthener they sell and was very pleased with it.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have no medical advise to offer since I have also never had a dog with cancer.

I just want to say how sorry I am for this. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Kali, the two things I was going to suggest are there already, Dogaware and limiting carbs/grains

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Had to run before I finished my post. I believe that an increase in animal-based proteins is recommended for dogs with cancer. So you can use a grain free kibble and supplement with fresh foods like eggs, sardines, chicken, salmon, cottage cheese and ground beef and turkey.

I think I would probably switchmy dog to a raw diet or at least supplement with raw. There are a lot of really good preprepared raw diets out there now which aren't too expensive if you buy them in bulk.

And I also remembered transfer factors. They are supposed to be really great for boosting the immune system and have been very helpful for dogs with cancer.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
OOF. I am very sorry.

Here is a site that I think has some good information:
http://www.helpyourdogfightcancer.com/

They put all the Magic Bullet Fund dogs on the supplements from Aloha:
http://www.helpyourdogfightcancer.com/supplements.html

Alternative stuff from Dr. Clemmons: http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/AltMed/Cancer/Cancer_AltMed.htm

Morris Foundation: http://curecaninecancer.org/ I don't know the deal but it says free cancer consultation with an oncologist.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1638&articleid=460 for that one, information on the 50-50 malignancy with tumors.

I would definitely want a needle biopsy and chest x-rays and bloodwork to get an idea of what/when type things (sorry
).

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
My old girl (GSD X Border Collie) had a small mammary tumour (pea size) at age 14 and it was removed (teat and all) but she was an otherwise active, healthy dog and it was only one tumour, so the surgery was not considered ill-advised. She had a supposed lipoma removed the year before which turned out to be spindle cell sarcoma but she survived another surgery at early 16 and lived until 6 weeks off 17yo. I used essiac tea capsules opened and spread over her food morning and night and flaxseed oil as a supplement. I don't know whether either helped but she did seem more alert after beginning those and she was still mentally alert even up to the time she was PTS for kidney failure (unrelated to the cancer).

A lot of how people and dogs react to cancer seems to be genetic in my opinion - some will survive very serious situations and others will succumb in relatively minor situations. In the surgeries for my girl, I felt she could cope and, if she didn't survive surgery, at least I had given her a chance. But her situation was different to your dog's case.

I wish Kali and her family all the best in coping with this diagnosis and hope any intervention will prove helpful.

WIshing you all the best ..... Alison

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Chris, I as such a dumb person, in my rush to try to find some infor for you I forgot to say how sorry I am for Kali and you guys. I hope that you can find something that will keep her going for a while.

Val

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, everyone. Thanks so much for the kind words of support and for all the great info!

Haven't yet had a chance to read through the whole thread carefully to really absorb the details and follow all the links, but I very much appreciate the information. Looks like I've got lots of reading and researching to do!

Kali says "Thank You" too.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
NOT FAIR

she is gorgeous and looks like a snuggle bug!!!

Hopefully everything will be ok

1 - 20 of 28 Posts