German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any links to places to buy breakaway collars in Canada?

Xerxes just got stuck and twisted in Agis's flat collar. I was obviously there to get it sorted (though I had trouble finding the buckle release!!!), and we're home all the time now due to COVID so can keep an eye out, but I do NOT want a repeat, especially if we're not home. Going to start taking the collars off inside for now.

Anyways, PetSmart has a plain black one, I would like something more snazzy, but also want to make sure it's a good design. Thanks!

Agis is walked on a martingale, and Neb and Xerxes in harnesses, so I don't need the breakaway collar for walking (obviously wouldn't want that either I expect).

(And I was always one of those people who thought, 'It'll never happen to MY dogs')

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
The manufacturer in the US is Chinook & Co. They make the "Keep Safe" collar -- my dogs have worn them for years, and I love the product. There's an online store on their website: KeepSafe

Their website says that they ship to Canada.

We experienced exactly what you did with two dogs playing and having ones jaw slide under the collar while the other one dropped and rolled, creating a figure-8 around the jaw.

This company's collars are sold through many web store fronts selling pet supplies (Chewy, etc.). I've always bought them directly from their website, though, as they're lovely to deal with. When mine were adolescent knuckleheads, they would pull these break-away collars off each other to play tug with -- and the company sent me replacements at the wholesale price to get me through until the dogs were older and stopped doing that. They had no obligation to do that (not their fault), but it was super-nice of them to do.

The collars last a long time -- as long as dogs don't pop them off each other and play with them. :/ You do have to train yourself to grab the double O-rings (not just grab the collar) if a dog is lunging through an open door (otherwise the collar will pop off into your hand). The collars definitely work as designed, and I occasionally find my blind one's out hanging on a bush, when he gets himself caught up in some sort of vegetation.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These look perfect, thank you so much @Magwart

My husband was like 'WHY can't they wear their collars in the house anymore?' (he was trying to nap when this happened but could hear it, Agis was whining as the collar tightened around his neck) and I will admit I spoke sharpish to him and he said 'okay, okay, they won't wear them in the house!' (until we get breakaways)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts