German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've posted before about Hondo being aggressive towards our neighbors when we are out of town and they are feeding for us.

Knowing that we were going on vacation and couldn't take Hondo, we worked very hard in socializing our neighbors with Hondo in our house / backyard instead of at their house or in our front yard. Hoping that would make a difference in is reaction to them coming over when we aren't home. I would get them to make Hondo sit and then treat, down and then treat, stay and then treat etc.

So, the first day we were gone and they went over to feed - Hondo wouldn't allow them into the yard. He'd bark at them and when they attempted to walk into the back yard he'd jump on the gate and snap. Big no-no, and Hondo has NEVER done that when we are around. They had to dump dog food over the fence for two dogs.

My neighbor (who is an avid animal lover) couldn't stand the fact that Hondo didn't like her. So, knowing that I feed partial raw - she went over to the house, went into the house and then to the sliding glass door. She cracked the door open and (holding part of raw turkey guts) told Hondo to sit. Hondo ignored her - but he wasn't barking. My neighbor's young daughter was with her and she said, "you have to say it like Ms. Lilie". So my nieghbor lowered her voice and stated, "Boy! Don't make me say it twice!" and Hondo sat!

We were gone for six (6) days. By the time we got home, they had Hondo in the house with them - going through all of his favorite tricks! When they walk by the back yard (to go to the barn to feed) they could quiet his barking by lowering their voice and telling him "Quiet!"

Once I heard what they did, and how it worked with Hondo I was very suprised to find that often when giving Hondo a command (like sit) he'll ignore me the first time and then it's when I lower my voice he'll respond. I suppose it's back to OB 101 and shine up on the basics!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol thats funny. they certainly have it all figured out now!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts