German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last visit to vets office I purchased a flee/tick product called "Bravecto". Before I give this to my boy I thought I would check to see if anyone had any comments or concerns about this product. This is new to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Last visit to vets office I purchased a flee/tick product called "Bravecto". Before I give this to my boy I thought I would check to see if anyone had any comments or concerns about this product. This is new to me.

We used to use it, and then I found that there are thousands of reported complaints online of problems with it, even deaths. I guess they must not be enough to take it off the shelves, as they still sell it, but it made me think twice and switch to something else. There's a Facebook group called "Does Bravecto kill dogs?" with more than 25k members. Some interesting stuff is posted if you want to look.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
If your vet trusts it and say your dog needs it, you are probably safe. I saw somewhere else that over 34,000,000 doses have been used by dogs. The Facebook and other hysteria type posts are personal anecdotes and may not have been caused by the medication at all. I would weigh why you are using it rather than something else against risks and weigh the benefits. Bravecto works well on fleas and ticks. It also keeps mange and skin ailments caused by mange under control. If you have an older dog, you should get blood test first to make sure there are no hidden conditions that would make it dangerous to take.

If it was actually killing dogs, vets would not use it and someone would have sued by now. The active ingredient has been around for a long time.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My vet recommended it, gave it to us and I returned it. I came home and very recent reviews were horrible. There are times that I will listen to the vet, but I don't do so without my own research. I am the voice for my dogs and all decisions I make will affect them.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I used it last year on both my dogs with zero ill side effects and outstanding tick protection, so I will probably do it again this year... Depending on how bad the ticks are

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use it all spring and summer with all 5 of my dogs. A lot of people I know use it as well. I live in tick country where lymes disease is prominent! My dogs get the lymes disease vaccination, but I'd rather be safe then sorry! It one of the only drugs that is great with ticks..
A lot of the parasite (flea, tick control) have many dogs that have different reactions.
If you are nervous using it bring your dogs to the vet and get them to administer it there. Or just watch them closely for the first few days!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I use it all spring and summer with all 5 of my dogs. A lot of people I know use it as well. I live in tick country where lymes disease is prominent! My dogs get the lymes disease vaccination, but I'd rather be safe then sorry! It one of the only drugs that is great with ticks..
A lot of the parasite (flea, tick control) have many dogs that have different reactions.
If you are nervous using it bring your dogs to the vet and get them to administer it there. Or just watch them closely for the first few days!
There are also recent reports in the last year, about topicals no longer working on fleas in some parts of the country. I tried another med, Comfortis, and it did not work. I try to look at scientific studies, not self diagnoses. Someone should look into deaths and do research to find out if the medications are to blame or if they are just rumors or coincidences. The internet is a good place to research and also notorious for providing bad information too.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have been using Nexguard with no problems. It is molecularly similar to Bravecto but only lasts a month. Great results. I used to use a topical, Advantix II and it did not work for my dog. I don't like using any of this but the concern of ticks and the diseases they carry leads me to this solution.

You could also probably read about the horrendous stories of dogs with tick-born diseases as well.

All decisions have costs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your feedback...I have to return to the vet tomorrow for a visit for one of my cats and it will give me the opportunity to discuss concerns with her. Primary problem I was facing was that I had used topicals and was finding ticks from time to time...no fleas just an occasional tick. The horror stories of problems associated with ticks here have me concerned and the vet had said she had good results with the product. I'll discuss it with her again before I use it....thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback...I have to return to the vet tomorrow for a visit for one of my cats and it will give me the opportunity to discuss concerns with her. Primary problem I was facing was that I had used topicals and was finding ticks from time to time...no fleas just an occasional tick. The horror stories of problems associated with ticks here have me concerned and the vet had said she had good results with the product. I'll discuss it with her again before I use it....thanks again for your replies.
Let us know what your vet says. Unfortunately a lot of the old tick medications are not working well anymore, which is why people are going to different medications.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are also recent reports in the last year, about topicals no longer working on fleas in some parts of the country. I tried another med, Comfortis, and it did not work. I try to look at scientific studies, not self diagnoses. Someone should look into deaths and do research to find out if the medications are to blame or if they are just rumors or coincidences. The internet is a good place to research and also notorious for providing bad information too.
Very true!! Revolution doesn't work whatsoever on two of my dogs for fleas or ticks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vet told me he liked the product and has not had problems with it. Makes me nervous to use new medications but the alternative with the severe tick problem here isn't comforting either and the topicals just are not getting the job done.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I used it last year on both my dogs with zero ill side effects and outstanding tick protection, so I will probably do it again this year... Depending on how bad the ticks are
I've spent the better part of spring, summer, and fall camping/hiking in Pend O'reille county and north Idaho since the 80s. I have not come across a tick on any of my dogs. I believe you are a bit west of those areas and it's a little dryer, are the ticks that bad there?

We have them thick at times in Spokane county and anywhere around the pothole lakes, along with rattle snakes, but never when heading northeast.

We did use bravecto once for Ollie and had no problems with it, but haven't needed it otherwise. If the ticks are bad enough we would probably use it again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, the ticks are very bad here...got warnings from the breeder and the forest ranger. They said it was due to the milder winters. We don't face the dangers of rattle snakes here though like you do. All species of snakes in this area are nonpoisonous. I remember your area of the States very well. I drove for a while in the U.S. and delivered Blue Bunny ice cream. Whenever I would pull a load out your way I'd bring back a load of cherries. Beautiful country there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Posy's trainer is VERY anti Bravecto based on what she's seen/heard and researched. I've given it to posy a couple of time. The last time I asked the vet and she said they haven't had any ill effects and gives it to her dog. Posy has never had any noticeable ill effects, but a couple weeks after giving it to him last time, he was acting strangely. Very restless, licking his paws obsessively (which isn't historically new behavior for him). This could have had nothing to do with the Bravecto, and I wouldn't have even correlated the 2, but when I mentioned his behaviour to the trainer, she said: "I told you not to give him bravecto."
Has anyone experienced that? Where they didn't have immediate health effects like foaming or running around, but even a week or two later, noticed strange behavior?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts