German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's morning walk started off normal. I met my friend and her 5 month old lab at 5:30AM so we could do our AM walk. About a mile into our loop Freyja began some unusual behavior. She went into full alert mode, with ears erect and forward, deliberate gate and slightly raised back fur. Suddenly Freyja threw on the breaks and tried to pull me backwards, something we've never done before. After scanning the brush and nearby field with a flashlight and seeing nothing, my friend and I decided to cut the walk short and head home as a precaution. Throughout the walk home Freyja would look over he shoulder and puff up. About the third over the shoulder look, our "puff and turn" turned into a puff and snarl/bark, I did a full scan behind us with the flashlight. There, not 15 yards behind us, was a pair of illuminated eyes, coyote. My companion and her pup were oblivious. I recommended that we tighten up the leads and pick up the pace slightly. 10 minutes later we were both home safe.

I don't know if our furry stalker was just checking out the unusual procession or following along for a snack. Either way, 14 week old Freyja managed to scare him off. Tomorrow, I'll be carrying more than pepper spray.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
wow!!! thats pretty crazy!!!! she did a good job!!! i dont blame you for saying you're going to carry more than pepper spray!! did you tell your friend why you'd cut the walk short once you guys were safe?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't tell my friend, she's from the city and freaks out at the sight of a mouse. I just told her to watch out. Her husband got the full story.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol. darn us city people!!! what did her husband say about it?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's to stay in the light "on the front lawn" until the situation is safe. I dread having to explain to them about winter and how desperate predators can get.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well thats not gonna be good....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts