German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today me and my girlfriend were at her parents house with tyson and they have horses..brooke (my girlfriend) was out feeding one of them and tyson decides to walk right up to the horse standing right under him! this horse is a bit on the wild side and kind of a jerk sometimes which is why im surprised he didnt get kicked..just to sum things up..tyson is 9 weeks old..we have done a lot of socializeing of ppl and dogs and he seems to not be intimitated by either..the vet said that most gsd pups are pretty reserved, but said he was outgoing, is this a puppy thing or is this pretty much his personality??

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
So as a horse person who has had puppies with horses -- keep Jr. away from the horses until he is older or else keep him safe around them.
This isn't cute, it isn't smart.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
A bit of a kick from the horse would be a great learning experience for your pup. Nonetheless, as the previously poster said it coud be dangerous.

As an aside, love those nosy pups.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Against our wishes a client brought his St. Bebard out to see his horse. It is a retired, old, trustworthy horse. The horse pawed at the puppy, not in a menacing way burt hit the head and the pup had permanent brain damage.

My 11 week pup his in the house with a sprained elbow. I THOUGHT I was hyper vigilant keeping him away from the horses but the miniture donkey kicked him, (I think).

Keep your pup on the leash, away from the horses.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well she grabbed him as soon as she saw where he was..i didnt think it was "cute"...i've seen what an 1800 pound horse can do and by no means do i want an 18 pound pup being stomped on..i just found it a little odd that he wouldnt be affraid of an animal that size..

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Most pups do not have enough life experience to be afraid of a larger animal. Keep pup safe by leashing him around the horses, He can learn about them from a safe distance.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
At about between 8 and 10 weeks the first fear period start, before that puppies barely know fear. Would you imagine in a pup that age what could be to be scared of everything they don't know, that would make them crazy, poor things don't know anything yet!

My pup is 12 weeks old and sometimes she finds the most odd things... a piece of plastic, a sandal, anything, and get suddenly scared. But what I like of her is that if she is scared she furiously bark at the offensive item and cautiously she go to investigate on her own until she ends playing with the object. Yesterday she saw (from safe distance) a couple of horses and since they ignored her she ignored them completely too, but she found an old buoy and it required all her courage to sniff it.

·
Registered
27,213 Posts
When Onyx was about 4 months there was a snowman that we had to pass on our walks. She was always afraid of it and barked, hackled up when we went by. Because it was in someones yard, I didn't take her to investigate(which in hindsight I should have) ...I was glad when he finally melted!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only thing he really seems to not like, or be scared of is our fake plant lol..im glad he doesnt mess with it but ill have to make sure to moce it when he discovers that its not harmfull...

·
Premium Member
11,141 Posts
BTW - Donkeys and mules are really really dangerous to dogs! Much more so than horses. Some people with sheep keep a donkey in with them as guardians against coyotes - they will go out of their way to kill a dog intentionally.

Pups should be taught respect for horses, at least with leash and/or long line at first.

Glad the horse was ok with the pup and did not hurt him.

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts