German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could you all share training treat brands and names? I'm working with my 4 month old Roxy ...so will need puppy appropriate size. Thank you...somebody had mentioned freeze dried stuff...do you have brand names?

also in training ..how do you know if you are using too many treats?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I use:

Purebites liver treats, they have duck, chicken, and beef flavour. Very easy to break into small pieces for training and not stinky or too soft that they squish in the bag or in your fingers. Very easy treat but not very high value for my dogs

Rollover has a semi moist food in a roll which I've used several times. Easy to cut into small pieces for training, another high value treat though cutting a section off each time can be a little annoying

Wellness Wellbites. Again, very easy to break into small pieces, nice and stinky so very high value. Several different flavours to choose from for variety and definitely both of my dog's favourite treats.

I use very small bites for treats, it makes them last longer and cuts back on the calories they're consuming. In a training session I usually go through 5 Wellbites, or 10 Purebites, or about a 1/2" chunk of the Rollover for a 10-15 minute session

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys...keep them coming ..I'm writing it down and checking my local pet store ( small family owned so choices limited.)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You could also use cheese, hot dogs (check ingredients), steak.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just regular cheese? I see a lot of trainers using cheese ..but what kind? And how much of that would be too much?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
American cheese is good. Just remember you use small pea size treats so a little can actually go a long way.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the vet tech used that squirt cheese to have Roxy licking up while she got her shots...I'm thinking you wouldn't want to do that too often though..that's processed crap isn't it? Like cheeze - whiz?

ok ...so I have written all of this down..and will head off to the pet store today to see what I can find. Right now what I am using is Newmans Natural peanut butter triangles and blueberry triangles...omg she loves them but I think I could do some "harder" jobs with a tastier treat.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Zukes salmon and homemade liver treats!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have been using food rolls and really like them. I've tried petbotanics from Petsmart and also Red Barn brand food rolls. I read the natural balance ones are too crumbly. I would definately try a food roll. You cut it into pieces then store extra roll or pieces in the fridge. Blaze goes nuts over these, much more motivating for us than say zukes or billjac treats- but you could certainly try those also.

·
Registered
443 Posts
We use a lot of treats I make myself...dehydrated liver, tiny training treats using turkey and sweet potato, etc. But we also get Barkbox so we have some commercial stuff too. I really like Fruitables, they smell great and they dogs love them. For a very high value treat for my male, I use dehydrated fish meant for cats-- I think they're just little whole anchovies. They look odd to carry around but he thinks they're amazing.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Natural Balance log, cut up into tiny dice is very economical and works well. I'm not sure I'll keep using that now that NB was sold to Del Monte though.

I'm not crazy about freeze-dried liver as only about 50% of the dogs I've worked with love the liver enough to work for it. Some have seemed pretty indifferent to it, but they'll work for the NB log.

I get a "Spoiled Rotten" box from Petflow.com every month filled with new-to-me brands of treats: Spoiled Rotten | PetFlow.com That sort of "surprise" box isn't for everyone, but I've been enjoying the selection of products in it. There are always great treats in that box that work for training rewards (they are often "tiny dog sized" morsels...perfect for GSD training nibbles). "Yumzies" have been a big hit here and have been in the box twice.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got several different flavors of the zukes...may have to drive to the city and check out the big box pet stores for different stuff. Our local family owned pet store doesn't have a huge variety..but he did have lots of zukes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife swears by the Wellness Puppy Treats - she just takes each square and tears it into smaller bits (roughly 1/4 of the original size).

EDIT: And it has DHA and stuff to help puppies learn... or something.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'll make this easy lol....

Bil-Jac Little Jacs Liver Treats - Small Dog Treats and Bil-Jac Dog Treats from petco.com

Blue Buffalo Blue Bits Dog Training Treats at PETCO

Cloud Star Chewy Tricky Trainers Dog Treats at PETCO

Crazy Pet Train-Me Training Reward Dog Treats at PETCO

Natural Balance Tillman's Training Tips Dog Treats at PETCO

Zuke's Mini Naturals Dog Treats at PETCO

Just a few I've used with success teaching group lessons. ALL can be broken into smaller pieces and the majority come in various flavors. There's several others that I can post later.

Generally anything that your dog likes, even hot dogs, can be used long as its appropriate. You want pea sized pieces to start that can be broken into smaller pieces. I prefer using smaller pieces because it doesn't help fill the dog up faster. You can even use part of your dogs daily meal portion for training treats.

There's also treats that can be broken up into smaller pieces that is like doggie drugs. My dogs will do ANYTHING for one of those treats. You can get them at walmart, safeway... generally anywhere that has a pet fridge section. Lemme hunt down the name of one for ya. They're all the same thing, just different brands. Downside, they have to be kept in the fridge when you're not using them but they're great.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Here. Took me a minute because I can never remember the name unless I see it. I know what it is when I go buy it lol.

Freshpet&#0174 dognation&#0153 Chicken Treats - Treats & Rawhide - Dog - PetSmart

Like I said, there's several different brands but they're all the same ingredients. Again, they do have to be refrigerated but doesn't take up much space and the make a GREAT A+ high value reward for teaching new commands.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use Zuke's mini naturals, Natural Balance food rolls (cut into small pieces), small pieces of carrots, apples and kibble. I occasionally use pieces of cold cuts too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Wellness treats are very tasty but too hard for me to break into pieces on the fly, like when on a walk or something. I use them for high-value treats at home and I use chicken sometimes, too, which the dogs go crazy for. The liver freeze dried treats always make my hands smell like liver afterwards so I don't use that stuff anymore.

I like using Old Mother Hubbard's dry oven-baked treats since they're nice and easy to break into halves or even smaller. I think they're part of the same company as Wellness, too. I used to use Nutro training treats (not the biscuits) but they're awkwardly shaped to break apart.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
My current favorite training treat is Real Meat brand 90% Meat Air Dried food: Real Meat Pet Food

It comes in perfect little chewy bites, it's good quality without a bunch of extra crap in it, and every dog I've met loves it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts