German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Just wondering what brands of dry doggie food you guys are feeding your shepherds and what brands you think are best. I'm specifically looking for a brand which contains no grain/corn. I've looked online but don't know which ones to choose. I've heard about BARF, and mentioned it to my vet, but he just said "ABSOLUTELY NOT!". He went on about how raw food can cause diseases and stuff. But if you have any sites or stores, it would be most helpful! Thanks! :sick:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here's a good place to start comparing brands. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor For me, anything rated three stars and above is fine. Other people will say only feed a five star food. You have to decide which "level" you are comfortable with.

As for not feeding raw, a lot of vets don't care for raw food. I feed mainly kibble, but also feed a bit of raw. However, many people here feed a strictly raw diet. You do need to make sure you get the proportion of muscle meat, bones, and organ right, though. One way to solve that is to feed a commercial raw diet.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I was using Natures Balance mixing both dry and canned and was seeing great results with Bella, she enjoyed the food and her coat is gorgeous and smooth and not a lot of shedding. However they have been purchased by a big corp and that scares me so along with the reading I have been doing on other options such as RAW diets and freeze dried I opted to go with Natures Variety Freeze Dried because a true raw diet is almost impossible to follow (for me anyway). As far as results are concerned its to early to say but I can tell she loves the food and devours the bowl like she has been starved for weeks, I couldn't say the same for Natures Balance. I'll post in months time ref her diet but so far she loves it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hey guys! Just wondering what brands of dry doggie food you guys are feeding your shepherds and what brands you think are best. I'm specifically looking for a brand which contains no grain/corn. I've looked online but don't know which ones to choose. I've heard about BARF, and mentioned it to my vet, but he just said "ABSOLUTELY NOT!". He went on about how raw food can cause diseases and stuff. But if you have any sites or stores, it would be most helpful! Thanks! :sick:
I feed mine Diamond Naturals. Its reasonably priced for a 40 lb bag. It has no corn, wheat or soy - ingredients most GSD's can't tolerate. I am on a budget and this is the best way I know to feed my dog an entire month without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Taste of the Wild is grain free.

But since you mentioned BARF. I suggest you check out this website Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch before you rule it out. I went from 100% kibble to 100% raw and settled on 50/50 which seems to work best for me personally. But truthfully I 100% raw is best for the dog. I know its highly debated. This is simply my opinion :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have been feeding Canidae All Life Stages for a while. It is not too too expensive and it is pretty well rated. My aussie does fine on it but I noticed that Ranger was kind of itchy and his coat was getting a little rough. I have been adding about a third Wellness white fish and sweet potato and both things seem to have improved. Wellness is expensive so I think I will continue to mix.

I am a little confused because on some of the dogfood rating sites I have seen some grain free products rated lower than their counterparts by the same manufacturer. For instance Wellness Simple Salmon and sweet potato, grain free, was rated lower than the Wellness whitefish (which has barley or something). Anyone know why?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I also wonder if there is any reason to feed large breed dog food. I just get my big dogs the regulra food. Is there any advantage to large breed food?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I also wonder if there is any reason to feed large breed dog food. I just get my big dogs the regulra food. Is there any advantage to large breed food?
Its marketing! You can feed the dog the regular food and he'll be fine. Large breeds have no special nutritional or dietary requirements.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Rangers_mom; said:
I am a little confused because on some of the dogfood rating sites I have seen some grain free products rated lower than their counterparts by the same manufacturer. For instance Wellness Simple Salmon and sweet potato, grain free, was rated lower than the Wellness whitefish (which has barley or something). Anyone know why?
Are you talking about dog food advisor by any chance? I think those foods are rated by how much animal protein content they have, so maybe the Wellness has too much sweet potato to qualify for the higher rating? I'm pretty sure that site also doesn't try to rate the subjective quality of the ingredients, so foods like Eagle Pack end up with four stars even though they have corn and chicken fat as top five ingredients.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have been feeding Canidae All Life Stages for a while. It is not too too expensive and it is pretty well rated. My aussie does fine on it but I noticed that Ranger was kind of itchy and his coat was getting a little rough. I have been adding about a third Wellness white fish and sweet potato and both things seem to have improved. Wellness is expensive so I think I will continue to mix.

It depends on the quality of the ingredients and the way they're processed. And dog food advisor looks at starch and filler ingredients, which have no real nutritional value but bulk up the food or give it an appealing color. You can do effective shopping comparison of dog food and get the best value for your pet food money.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Trying merricks buffalo/potato now and she doesn't seem to like it at all. royal canin still prevails in that aspect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for answering my questions. There are just so many dog foods to choose from it is somewhat overwhelming.
You're totally right! theres so many brands to choose from. Not really sure which ones to pick. They all claim to be healthy for the dog, and how it helps with joints, skin, growth, digestive system, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Price is not really an issue for me, its just finding the perfect food. My dog isn't a picky eater. He eats everything! Right now Im feeding some kind of wheat mixed with chicken. I know it's not good for him so I've stopped, I didn't look at the ingredients label. I've heard a healthy diet helps with shedding, the doggie smell and his digestive system so they will poop less.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i switch brands often. i have different brands of can food that
i use as one of his toppings. i top his kibble with fresh
meat, fowl, fish, apples, blueberries, pear, can fish (in water
no salt added), human grade salmon oil, sweet potato, raw
ground beef pattie (4oz.), table scraps depending on what
it is, raw egg.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i switch brands often. i have different brands of can food that
i use as one of his toppings. i top his kibble with fresh
meat, fowl, fish, apples, blueberries, pear, can fish (in water
no salt added), human grade salmon oil, sweet potato, raw
ground beef pattie (4oz.), table scraps depending on what
it is, raw egg.
Why do you switch brands often? I thought keeping the on the same brand is best (unless there is a problem, of course)?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts