German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky has made amazing progress heeling beside me on a loose leash. It's like he has picked it up in almost no time. Oh, he is not perfect, of course. last night, he saw a rabbit take off and he started to chase it, but I gave him a leash pop and we moved on. Two lessons, and my practice sessions, has resulted in this. Last night, I forgot to put the prong on him, he just had on a flat collar, and still did well. The trainer is already talking about starting to train for off leash, but it's going to take me a while where I feel comfortable with that.

I borrowed the little neighbor girl to help me last night and we got Rocky up and over the A frame 5 or 6 times. She would pat the frame and yell encouragement with me while I took him over. This was a milestone!

Rocky likes to eat lying down, a new one for me. His feet are huge and when he is excited and running, he throws them up like a Clydesdale. I also found out that Rocky loves the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" song. As I sing it to him. I make the "spideys" crawl up his belly, the rain fall down, the sun come out, etc etc. He goes limp as a noodle.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is a sweetheart. I have been really lucky with all my dogs, they have all been good boys!

Rocky knows "sit" and "down" very well. We are still working on "wait," "come" and "heel." We are also still working on not jumping. He does pretty good when I get home from work as long as I have my keys ready and open the door quickly. (I had to stop him jumping up on the door as he was scratching the heck out of my door frame.) I can hear his feet dancing on the other side of the door and if I am too slow, up he will come. When I do come in, he twirls from side to side to side for scratches and then leans his 85 pounds on me so I can get under his armpit, for lack of as better world. He is a mess!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More brags! We got Rocky up and down the A-frame another 5 or 6 times tonight. Twice, he went up by himself. The first time, he took us by surprise when he started up, but we encouraged him to go over. He paused at the top like he was thinking about jumping off, but I blocked his path. That worries me a little bit. We also got him on the teeter several times and he did it, but of course, we had hold of his collar.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It sounds like you and Rocky are really meshing and having fun together. I don't remember singing itsy bitsy spider but I did do the "This little piggy went to market" and he loved the piggy that went wee wee wee all the way up his legs. Lol.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohhhh, I was sore last night. The first time Rocky decided to go up the A frame by himself, he caught me by surprise, and since I was holding the leash I got a big jerk. Later on that night, i felt like my diaphragm had an iron band around it. It took me a bit to make the connection, but I am better this morning.

H&S, I will try piggy shortly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts