German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am fond of german shepherds and can't wait to be a mom for one of them! Do you recommend getting a boy or a girl?

Registered
I think a lot depends on your personal preference.

Already having another dog matters too as you would want to at least be aware of problems having the same sex under the same roof. Female to female aggression is probably the one you hear about most often.

All that and there can be other characteristics that are related to either a male or female. Let folks know what you are looking for and they might be able to help you decide.

Super Moderator
boy.

Banned
Girl for me, every time. But that is because that鈥檚 my personal preference and fits my needs.

Neither is easier to raise over the other, so what traits are you looking for in a GSD. Any other animals in the home? Young children? There are a lot of variables as to which sex would fit a bit more easily into your life, but not by a lot. You want to look at what you want in a GSD, and talk to a ton of breeders. You鈥檒l want to match the dog to your lifestyle, and the easiest way to do that is to let the breeder know what your regular old daily life is like, not what your dream day with a GSD is.

Drive and energy levels are going to be a whole lot more important than the sex or the pup.

Registered
I'd go with the individual dog rather than picking by sex. The attachment/attraction I have for a guy dog has been "right there" - with the females, it has been a bit different - -- So for me it is what's available when I need a dog. I met the first dog I would have as an adult when he was maybe 9 to 10 weeks old. He had my heart in under a minute. He became mine 2 years later. Got him a companion whom he did not appreciate but tolerated when he was about 5. The next dog was a 12 or so week old cross female. I looked and looked at dogs -- she was the one I brought home. Then there was the wounded guy that appeared in my backyard bleeding profusely. These guys! Again it was instant - as I loaded him in the car to haul to the vets, he had me. When he crashed, I still had my girl but I needed another dog. This pup turned out to be a female. When the cross died, the pup demanded that I get another dog. Breeder selected female... etc etc etc. It's who's there that works.

Registered
Hi everyone! I am fond of german shepherds and can't wait to be a mom for one of them! Do you recommend getting a boy or a girl?
I got both. Littermates. I have had them before and figured that, if one is good, . . . . and so forth. In general, I was right. Two is more fun.

The black male was pretty expensive. The white female much less so. Females, and especially white ones, are apparently much less in demand so you can get them much cheaper than a male.

Some people will tell you that littermates are a problem. No such problems here.

However, two GSDs are a LOT of work in the first year. After about a year, not much difference from one in terms of labor.

If I only had one, it would probably be a male. Home defense and all that, and they seem to relate to humans a little differently. The male seems to be more attentive and devoted. YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts