German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
I am in Cincinnati. I have fostered a couple of timid dogs, and have four rescued dogs of my own. I emailed about adopting Grizz last week. Now they are saying they have a lot of interest in him. Guess they do not want to adopt to me bcause I am far away. they could just say so!

· Registered
3,976 Posts
Black Puppy, what scares you about the picture?
I think it's the wide skull and the beady amber eyes. I don't really like amber eye, myself, or the blue eyed dogs. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

I love my brown eyed dogs. Boaz has lighter (and oblique) eyes, and sometimes I think they look spooky.

Tarheel, I've often inquired about out of state dogs (at shelters), usually they don't even bother replying because they don't adopt out of state.

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I talked to the shelter both about Grizzley ... At this time it would be very hard to transport him so they are working on getting him used to the leash and walking.
Tarheel, so great that you offered him a home! Rebel posted that he isn't ready for transport yet and the shelter staff is working with him and a trainer on getting him used to a leash. Spooking and getting lost on a potty break during transport might be a concern, plus the stress as long as he petrifies when leashed.
Iffff he has more than one suitable offer for a home, they might choose what looks like the least stressful transition for him. Ifff. He continues to be listed as Urgent.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
Tarheel, so great that you offered him a home! Rebel posted that he isn't ready for transport yet and the shelter staff is working with him and a trainer on getting him used to a leash. Spooking and getting lost on a potty break during transport might be a concern, plus the stress as long as he petrifies when leashed.
Iffff he has more than one suitable offer for a home, they might choose what looks like the least stressful transition for him. Ifff. He continues to be listed as Urgent.
If he's not ready for transport, then why is he available for adoption? This doesn't really make much sense. Unless he's being put on a transport train, there is no reason he can't get in the car to travel 5 hrs vs getting in the car to travel 5 minutes (given that their reasoning is that he might get away during a potty break).

An adult GSD doesn't need constant potty breaks on a trip, so really someone could travel upwardes 6-8 hrs before he'd need a "break" and to be let out.

These shelters ask for help, want their dogs helped, but then worry more about him being transported than continuing to sit in the shelter and risk euthanasia?

· Registered
4,345 Posts
I talked to them some time ago, and he does not really walk on the leash yet. They were considering knocking him out for transport or crating him all the way through (not letting him out). It does not sound that they can get him into a car yet. They probably want to make sure that whoever gets him is capable of handling him at the destination. They were trying to work with him to get him used to the leash before moving him.

· Registered
3,976 Posts
Poor guy. I wonder how he got to the shelter without getting into a car?

I have a friend who had a dog she never leashed trained. She would carry him into the vet's office. He was an Airdale. One day she realized he was getting too heavy to carry into the vet's, so she finally enrolled in obedience classes. LOL!

I hope Griz' gets out soon.

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Carole, There are three options: the slip lead, the box trap, the catch pole. If a dog is trusting enough to come close and walk into the noose of a slip lead but then panics and tries to bolt, it tightens and chokes him, and he'll be wary of a lead next time. If a stray dog will not walk into the 'noose' of a slip lead, either a box trap or a catch pole is used. The catch pole usually leaves a dog traumatized.

There are 'humane' approaches to using a catch pole in the least traumatizing way, but it takes training, and training costs money. Sometimes the catch pole is the only way to capture a stray dog if the dog is in an area where a box trap cannot be set safely.

I don't know how Grizzley was brought to the shelter, but those are the options.

I hope he is learning that people with leashes can be a good thing to happen, and will find a foster or forever home soon.

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I just checked his PF listing and it says 'Grizzley~pending'!
Fingers crossed that he will indeed get out. Let's keep him under 'urgent' for now.

· Registered
6,284 Posts
link still active and indicating "pending".

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
From the shelter page:

UPDATE:
Grizzley has come a very long way since he first arrived at the shelter! We are so thankful to Dogs Day Out, our favorite doggie daycare and training facility who have fallen in love with Grizzley just as we have. They have taken on Grizzley to train him, and teach him all the things that he has never known! So as of 11/11/10 Grizzley is not at our facility. We cannot wait to see how far this boy has come after spending time with the wonderful trainers at Dogs Day Out. We will update with more information when he has completed his stay at Dogs Day Out!

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
PF listing says 'Adopted'! Happy Thanksgiving in your new home, Grizzley!

Jax08, to my knowledge, this was all the shelter's work. They prove what a shelter can do even under most difficult circumstances. Thanks to the wonderful shelter staff!

PS To continue their work, they need all the help they can get. So many carelessly produced dogs and cats enter their shelter every day...

· Registered
6,284 Posts
that's wonderful! have a good life griz with the beautiful amber eyes! there are still good people out there, even tho it seems sometimes (especially in rescue), that the world is full of cruelty and foolishness.

· Registered
3,448 Posts
Grizzley must be a special boy indeed for the staff to go over and above for him - what a wonderful gesture on their part to find this guy a place, and give him another chance. :thumbup:

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.