German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy is two months old and we just got him this past Friday. He has a thing for tipping his food bowl over so the food goes all over the place. He'll eat most that he spilled onto the floor and leaves the rest for me to clean up. He likes to play and carry his bowl around
Any suggestions on how to curb this?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ava did this when she was a baby. She would lift the bowls out of her elevated feeder, and when I say bowls ... I mean the food and WATER bowl. The water would go all over the place. The way I broke her of this habit was I would stand by while she was eating and as soon as she started messing with it I told her "Leave it" ... it didn't take but a couple of days to teach her not to do that. You have to be persistant.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Get a stainless steel bowl with a rubber gromlet around the bottom. My Gunner used to the tipping the bowl thing and loved it. This put an end to it in a nice way.
Once they find out they can't tip it over it takes the fun out of it and they leave it alone it will happen real quick.
They are much smarter than we give them credit for.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We had the same thing happening. Delta decided the water bowl was a paddle pool. We went to Walmart and bought a bowl ( in the pet dept) that had rubber around the bottom...works great. No more swimming pool on our kitchen floor !
Hope this helps,
Pam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts