German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received a 9 week old all black german shepherd puppy from a breeder on Saturday (12/1/18). She told us the puppy was pee pad trained. We decided immediately to crate train instead of using the pads. We are new dog owners by the way. We were told to feed the puppy in the crate, wait 10 minutes, bring them outside and say "Go Potty". The puppy would poop/pee and then we bring him inside and play with him. However, this has not happened. We bring him outside and he is not interested at all in pooping or peeing. We are out there 20 minutes, 30 minutes. Eventually he will pee, but rarely poop. We praise him, give him a treat. He is happy, does an occasional sniff, eats pine straw or sits at our feet. We pick him up, put him back in the crate, wait 25 - 45 minutes and bring him back out again. He does the same thing. He rarely poops. Last night he ate dinner at 6:30 pm, spent the night in his crate without making any sounds all night. We woke up at 6 am, put him on the leash, carried him to the grass and told him to potty. He peed, 20 minutes later still no poop. We brought him inside and fed him breakfast. He ate, drank a little water and then sniffed around the house as usual and then started POOPING in the family room. We told him no, rushed him outside (with poop dropping as we carried him). We brought him in, put him in the crate for 45 mins and then took him out. He was outside for 20 mins, no poop, just pee. How do we get him to poop?

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Patience - lots of patience. Walking walking walking and waiting waiting waiting. And pooping maybe 2 or 3 x a day. Maybe use the piddle pads outside? (we're looking for inspiration here). And put a name on it (I have separate words for each product). Next time (there likely will be a next time) you find Mr. Anal Retentive starting to poop inside, maybe not "no" but "let's go out!" while moving him outside Then, too, do not let him wander around the house sniffing at this age. Keep a line on him if he's not tethered to you.

Good luck and best wishes for patience, patience, patience. It's usually an amazingly quick process but my 5th puppy gave me a lesson in humility regarding house training.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Movement helps activate a puppy's need to eliminate, so when you take him outside walk around, or play, just keep him moving and it'll help.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
I agree with the idea of keeping the pup tethered to you if not crated. You are on the right track. You just have to catch them at the right time, rush them outside and praise the results you like. You are "shaping" a behavior and that can take awhile for the dog to figure out. Especially with a pup that is trying to figure out life in general! One mistake we made with our big-boy as a pup, he would give us clues that he needed to go outside by grabbing our feet. He noticed that whenever we went outside we had to put boots on. We thought he wanted to wrestle with our feet. Little did we know he was trying to tell us to put on our boots and take him out to potty. After a few OOPSies, we figured it out.

By the way, some people add an additional task of ringing bells to alert a need to go out to potty. I tried that but thought my boy hadn't figured it out. Now he is 5 years old and I put jingle bells on my doorknob as a decoration...guess what. When he wants to go outside to potty or play, he rings the bells! Luckily he doesn't over do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patience - lots of patience. Walking walking walking and waiting waiting waiting. And pooping maybe 2 or 3 x a day. Maybe use the piddle pads outside? (we're looking for inspiration here). And put a name on it (I have separate words for each product). Next time (there likely will be a next time) you find Mr. Anal Retentive starting to poop inside, maybe not "no" but "let's go out!" while moving him outside Then, too, do not let him wander around the house sniffing at this age. Keep a line on him if he's not tethered to you.

Good luck and best wishes for patience, patience, patience. It's usually an amazingly quick process but my 5th puppy gave me a lesson in humility regarding house training.
I thought we were supposed to stay stationary when we take him out b/c if we were walking he would get distracted and want to play instead of remembering he was out there to poop/pee?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have the ringing bells and have used it since we brought him home. I honestly think we might have trained him to ring the bell if he wants to go outside to play. He has used it before and we quickly put the leash on, went outside and then he just sat in the grass and smiled at us lol. We tried staying stationary, he stayed like that too or would chomp on the pinestraw. We tried walking him to his spot and he just sat down and looked around.

My other question, is he supposed to stay in the crate all the time until he is housebroken? For example: We feed him in the crate, we take him out to poop/pee, he doesn't poop or he doesn't pee. If we take him back into the crate and wait another 20-30 mins and take him outside and he doesn't do his BOTH pee/poop, do we continue to keep him in the crate? It seems like he may be able to hold the poop for a long time. We did not want him to spend all of his time in his crate. It just seems cruel. Plus when would the kids and us get a chance to really interact with him then?

Recently, I left the house for 2 hours. I took him out to pee before I left and he did not pee after 10 minutes. I put him in the crate, came home after 2 hours and brought him out. He did not pee. He is now sitting on my toes and chewing on a Kong. Should I have put him back in the crate instead?

Sigh...i think I am confusing myself. I am getting anxious because I feel like I just don't know what to do. I thought we were prepared... guess not

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I thought we were supposed to stay stationary when we take him out b/c if we were walking he would get distracted and want to play instead of remembering he was out there to poop/pee?
Do stay stationary when you take him out during the night to encourage him to poop or pee and then get back to sleep. But during the day play and explore! Remember, two things. (1) you're only a couple days in, and your puppy has a lot to take in, and (2) you're the only one who "thinks" he's out there to eliminate. From the puppy's perspective it's just another adventure! Make it fun, lighten up and play, it really does help trigger their need to eliminate, so you'll both get what you want LOL! And it takes repitition before your puppy catches on, but he will!

And on the crate question, yes, keep him either with you or in his crate. Puppies will pee without warning, but if he starts sniffing around he's looking for a spot to eliminate, so scoop him up and take him outside. If he doesn't go, crate him for a bit and repeat. The main thing is to keep him in sight at all times and show him what you want by recognizing the signs and preemptively getting him out to do his business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts