German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my pup Tober (5m old), Fromm Lg. Breed Puppy.
He does wonderfully on it.
Fromm is manufactured in Wisconsin, I live in Maine. There is one store within driving distance that sells Fromm.

When I had to purchase a new 33lb bag of food, the pet store was out. They only get shipments once per month. :(
I didn't have enough Fromm to last a month, so I needed to buy another brand.

I purchased Wellness Lg. Breed Puppy Super Mix 5, and switched from Fromm to Wellness slowly (over 2 weeks). Tober had NO issue until a couple nights ago.

He has had BLOWOUT diarrhea on and off for several days now. He asks to go out every 30min to an hour when having GI issues. Even throughout the night. Guess I had just better thank my lucky stars that despite liquid diarrhea (mostly in the p.m.) there has not been a single drop in the house. Most excellent for a young pup with a very upset tummy.:cool:

He has had diarrhea on and off over 3 days, as in diarrhea day one, fine day two, diarrhea day three. At first I wondered if he ate anything odd that caused this. Now, I am sure it is the food. Back to Fromm, I guess.

Guess this was more of a vent than anything, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I always order my food online. I get like 3-4 months worth at a time. Is that an option for you so this never has to happen again?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
You are not over feeding? How do they compare in calorie/proteins? If it was over two weeks ago, I don't know that I'd blame the kibble...could be something else.

Have you rested the gut, put pup on a bland diet? I would do so, get a fecal run, and then slowly go back to the kibble(your choice on not Wellness) I'd also give some slippery elm bark to help the gut heal, or at least do some probi/digestive enzymes with the bland diet. I hope he feels better and kudo's to him for no messes in the house!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Are you sure it is not an intenstinal parasite of some sort that he may have picked up?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't afford to purchase 3-4 bags at once. And, this store sells it cheaper than any place I have found online.

Maybe once I get my income tax returns, I will be able to spend $200 at once for dog food. For now, not in the budget. :( I was kinda looking to switch brands anyway, just to see if I could find something more readily available in my area.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He gets 2.5c in the a.m. and depending on how active he has been throughout the day 2-2.5c in the p.m. He is 47.5lb and moderately active.
I will sit and compare them more closely . . .

Normally, I would have thought parasites too, but he had been dewormed repeatedly. He had normal Pyrantel admin. for his puppyhood and has been on Sentinel (like Interceptor) since 9weeks.

Not saying Wellness is a bad food, just not working for Tober. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We (Tober) are doing bland diet today. :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I can't afford to purchase 3-4 bags at once. And, this store sells it cheaper than any place I have found online.

Maybe once I get my income tax returns, I will be able to spend $200 at once for dog food. For now, not in the budget. :( I was kinda looking to switch brands anyway, just to see if I could find something more readily available in my area.
A lot of these companies have auto-ship options. They automatically send you a bag every month, so you don't have to buy all that at once. Just choose to have one every month or two sent depending on how you feed and it takes the thinking out of it.

After the free shipping coupons or the 20% off deals they always have, you pay less having it shipped than buying it in the store.

Just throwing that option out there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ I was not aware that that was an option, thanks!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Wellness was too rich for my dogs and also gave them the runs. I have an uncle who had the same problem on Wellness with his GSD puppy. Some foods just don't work with some puppies.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
What were you paying for the Fromm? I am buying from doggiefood.com.

I must admit I usually buy two bags or a bag and something else to get the free shippping but it beats what I was going to have to pay locally. Doggie Food is $49.99 for the large bag of puppy gold. When I was buying from the store I always had one back up bag but that puts you out $100 not $200

I have been getting it within a week of ordering and have been very pleased with their customer service. Don't forget gasoline costs money, too. If you have to go out of your way to drive there add that to the cost of the food. (not to mention the other things that add to the per mile cost of operating a car)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I buy from doggiefood.com also. Free shipping when I purchase only one bag of Acana at a time. Less expensive than the store, saves me 200 mile round trip and great to get it delivered to the door! They stock lots of different foods.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Wellness was too rich for my dogs and also gave them the runs. I have an uncle who had the same problem on Wellness with his GSD puppy. Some foods just don't work with some puppies.
Yep, same here. I had a lot of problems with different foods. It took nearly 10 different foods to find the right one.
Wellness Super5 Mix was one of the worst. Constant loose stools bordering at times on diarrhea.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Shannonrae, Wellness gave my pup diarrhea too. Not as bad as you describe but bad enough. When we stopped the Wellness, everything was back to normal in a couple days. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I'm in Wisconsin and we feed Fromm LBP Gold, and are about to switch to the adult formulas. It's like $46 a bag for the puppy and will be about $42 a bag for the adult. Add in taxes and its almost the same as the online pricing. Sometime's we can get the 5 lb bags at buy one get one free, which is a good deal except that the two bags only last 10 days.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I know a guy who had his 4 GSDs on Wellness and they all add loose/pudding poops, he did switch them off it after giving it time to show improvement but it never happened.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What were you paying for the Fromm? I am buying from doggiefood.com.

I must admit I usually buy two bags or a bag and something else to get the free shippping but it beats what I was going to have to pay locally. Doggie Food is $49.99 for the large bag of puppy gold. When I was buying from the store I always had one back up bag but that puts you out $100 not $200

I have been getting it within a week of ordering and have been very pleased with their customer service. Don't forget gasoline costs money, too. If you have to go out of your way to drive there add that to the cost of the food. (not to mention the other things that add to the per mile cost of operating a car)
It's about $49.99 per bag. The store I buy from is about 7 miles away, and is an area I am in frequently for other reasons. So gas cost is not an issue. I will look into the ordering online idea again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My black lab came home on wellness super five puppy mix. I love the stuff for him. He grew slowly and is he solid muscle. I have never seen a dog this muscular. I don't know if it is his food or his genes. Indie our gsd puppy came home on eukanuba. I added some wellness she has had liquid stools but they are now turning to formed again.I want to put our gsd on total wellness but right now I have two fourty pound bags of eukanuba. So for now I will mix. I wish I knew which food would keep her healthiest. My husband lost a gsd at 10 from cancer and I know we eat organic. If you ever see the food movie and a ghost in my genes and really see what monsanto is doing to our foods. you understand why. I had horrific allergies that are almost completely gone as long as I eat 90 percent organic. So I wonder what's in the dog food also. My husband in his line of work has seen cancer patients that do so much better on organic diets.I just want to give our dog the healthiest diet possible. My son is four and had eaten organic since birth and he just had his first cold. My peditrician was amazed her went to four without any illness. He asked me what I did. I said organic baby food and breastfed him. My other kids were not organic but were breastfed and they had ear infections colds galore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts