German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have used a bottcher harness in tracking, what collar do you connect it to? Flat, fur saver, pinch? I can't let my dog pull so hard when we start tracking again initially to protect her Iliopsoas. I don't want to put a lot of obedience on her tracking just slow her down and keep her from pushing off hard with her hind legs. My knees and back would appreciate it too.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
Trailing is completely different than our tracking. And Steve is right - obedience to the track slows them down. Food slows them down. Added corners slows them down.

Our collars and harnesses don't slow them. I want my dog to pull into the collar and keep the line taught. You would be better off asking people that do your type of tracking.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trailing is completely different than our tracking. And Steve is right - obedience to the track slows them down. Food slows them down. Added corners slows them down.

Our collars and harnesses don't slow them. I want my dog to pull into the collar and keep the line taught. You would be better off asking people that do your type of tracking.
Yes which is why I chose AKC tracking, not knocking IPO tracking at all, posted here with the idea a botcher rig might help.
She's definitely motivated to track and turns don't slow her down much at all.
Will go back to littering the track with food and give her 1-2' of line, see if that slows her down, just don't want her pulling hard into her harness and firing off her back legs until Apr/May.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Full disclosure, I know Aus and Yana so I knew what he was looking for with tracking. I was being general instead of any kind of training detail.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what is the correct answer?
To? Slowing the dog down tracking and not having her pull into the harness like a sled dog? Apparently not a bottcher harness. Food on the track. A short line and braking, maybe line checking. We'll see when we get back to it. Suggestions are welcomed. I don't want or need her to be disciplined to foot steps, just the track and to slow down to a walking pace.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Have you tried double lining him? One line on what ever you normally track on and one line attached to a pinch to use for corrections to slow him down. I would also use the food and make the tracks more difficult. You could also add more articles and smaller articles so he has to be more careful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts