Discussion Starter · #1 ·
situation developing here

I know what to do, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows what to do better

real quick :)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definitely a botfly. Possibly a few. I've never seen more than one at a time before....

Situation still developing....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well that yucky little bugger won't reproduce. He really chowed down though. Irrigated w/ hydrogen peroxide until the fizzing ceased, then iodine. Once removed the thing to do is keep it clean and monitor very closely.

because if you don't observe significant and rapid improvement, odds are it's getting worse, observable or not

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one at a time is bad enough, for sure. So far every case (multiple species) I've ever encountered was confined to muscle and ended well. Horror stories are quite common, however...

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Problem solved?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem solved?
well it takes a few days and you have to keep it clean; but yes rapid improvement, thanks for asking. There's like a little "hole" where the larva was, so that's prime for debris/bacteria/infection, and you really have to stay on that until it closes up. She's a tough little thing!

I keep antibiotics on hand and she's never had any before, so of course that'll work wonders this time. But the thing about antibiotics, if you just dole them out willy nilly for every little thing, they seem to loose their punch. So emergency use only, please. And my vet friend will be around eventually.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is the first dog, but at least my own 3rd warble onsite, and I think there have been a couple others here also. So over a span of 20yrs? not terribly rare here. I'm not even sure what they are? I'm not even quite sure Science knows? botfly? warble fly? reindeer fly? caribou fly? same difference?

every case onsite has been a single larva in a neck? Thankfully no fatalities yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts