German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eko has always been very reactive around food of any kind, I've got him to a point where he won't attack the other animals for being near his food and he won't growl at me anymore when I am near his food, I can pet him and he's fine. But lately whenever I am preparing their food and I step away to go get Xena's benadryl or any other reason and I set the food on the kitchen table, he stands in front of it and guards it. If Xena walks over to the table, he yips and puts his mouth on her, not a bite, more to push her away. If he thinks she's too close to human food, he does the same thing. Basically any time he feels she is doing something he know he isn't allowed to do he yips and pushes her away. He's been doing it more lately since the puppy has found out she can jump onto the kitchen table, which we are working on.

When I let Xena out of her crate in the morning, she almost doesn't want to come out anymore since she knows Eko will be all over her, putting his mouth on the back of her neck and running in circles around her until they get to the back door, where he uses his mouth to push her back so he goes outside first. Now in the mornings she hides behind my legs and follows me to the door so he can't get to her, I am constantly correcting him, telling him leave it or no or back up.

The last thing he's been doing is really really gross, so sorry if it's TMI. When they go outside, after Xena has done her business he goes behind her and licks her pee. She's fixed, he isn't, we're waiting as long as we can to have him fixed. I haven't really corrected him for the food guarding on the table, but I do for being all over the puppy in the morning and for licking her pee. What else should I be doing, if anything?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Only thing, I can suggest is to keep them separate especially as your Xena is becoming frightened.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say she's scared, more like overwhelmed, since she's still a bit sleepy and it would be a bit too much to handle for me too if he treated me that way when I first woke up. I think he's just REALLY excited since he knows they are going outside when she is let out of the cage. I'm starting to feel like maybe it's time I started to consider having him neutered, to help sort of tone him down and relax him a bit.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Great, since Xena isn't scared , maybe if you let our Mr. Eko first and then late Xena out a bit later, Mr. Eko would have time to get calmed down. Also if you tried to redirect Mr. Eko with a ball so he could chase after that. For the neutering, since you were planning on it anyway and he is over a year old - it would be time to get it done. But I don't think it will have much an effect on his behavior with Xena. My Sting who is neutered would act the same way.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could try that tomorrow, see if that makes a difference since that's seems to be what gets him going, he LOVES going outside. A ball is a great idea, fetch is his favorite game! If the neutering wouldn't help his behavior I may wait a little longer, I was just thinking it could be a factor and if it would help I'd get it done now even though I'd like to wait a bit longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts