German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't going to get my puppy get the bortadella shot but my vet convinced me its the best thing and now I'm thinking it was a bad idea... First after the shot (got it along with his 2nd puppy series) he was feeling very sick, but I was told he was going to be feeling sick as if he had a cold. He's ok now, or seems to be perfectly fine, but.. once in a while it sounds like he's nose is clugged (I don't know how else to describe it) it sounds like it comes from his nose/throat area like he is trying to clear it from all the mucus... is this normal?? or is he sick?? could it be the bortadella shot? (did not have this happen before it.. not that I remember)... One of my parents' dogs does that once in a while and when I discussed it w/my vet he said nothings there and nothing is wrong so I'm not overly worried but still.... maybe I should switch vets?? I'm also thinking its a bad idea that I've given him rawhide to chew on... I'm taking it away today! maybe a piece got stuck and he was trying to get it out... (though my parents' dog has not eaten rawhide in months so maybe that's not it, still just in case its going to be taken away) any ideas of what the sound is?? thanks!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Re: Bortadella shot&nasal/throat/mucus clearing sound

are you going to board your dog any time soon?
that would be the ONLY time you'd get that.
I will never board Brady again certified bonded dog sitter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no and I told that to the vet... i was taking him to classes and he said well you better get the vaccine bc i've seen some sick dogs... it starts as a cold but progresses to a lot worst etc and he said who knows what kind of dogs he'll be meeting at this class... and that especially puppy needs to be protected... so he scared me into it, when in the beginning I was not planning to give my puppy that shot to begin with but I figured vet knows best...

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
When I thought Brady was going to puppy classes they said he needed it.
But I changed my mind after that. Trainers at Petsmart and petco
aren't really trainers.
It was good advice to a point incase there is a sick dog. But after training if you are not going to Board don't give your baby any shots they don't need.

Please throw away any and all raw hide not good for any dog they can't digest it. Bully sticks and pigs ears. Also NO GREENIE'S.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely never give my dog that shot and my parents' dogs won't get them either and I'll be looking to change vets! its not the first time I feel like my "gut feeling" was right vs what I was told! The only thing is I want to find the right one & not sure how to go about researching him/her.. and i don't want to switch just to anyone... and I will be getting rid of the rawhide! Thanks!
Do you think he is sick? or it'll go away... I mean with the other dog I haven't heard him make that sound in a long while.. I'm just worried a bit.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't have a choice really. I go to dog shows at least once a month and practice every week. I do remember reading on the label that a dog can have a reaction to the vaccine, as with any vaccine. It should clear up in a few days.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
chase the dog -- I only vaccinated my dogs against bordatella once before I started boarding at the vets. -- That was when I was boarding at another vet and was on the way to catch a plane. I didn't have time to argue.

My dogs traveled a lot, we went to a lot of obedience trials. No problem. So you do have a choice...

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
it could also be something else. my female when she was a pup started doing the same thing, like a naselly cough, she would have a few spells like that throughout the day. ended up she had tonsilitis.

debbie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts