German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finished four of my eight puppy classes. She is clearly the sharpest crayon in the box, (the only GSD) and gets the lessons after one or two tries. We work with her at home too.
I noticed that she spends much of the class lying on the floor. Unless I'm actively engaging her it's like she's just waiting for something exciting to happen but until then she's not wasting the energy

She has great focus on me for her age I think- 18 weeks- and has what appears to me to be good prey drive and very good nerves. I've only seen her startled twice- once by some fake flowers that had blown into the yard and once by some people in a place in the woods where I take her to run and she had not seen people there before. In each case she recovered very quickly. Loud noises and chaos from the kids doesn't phase her. She's food driven- She inhales her meals and ker kibbles go down the hatch unchewed.
I have found a Schutzhund club and the trainer there seems pretty competent. She allowed Lucy to explore the field and played with her, not at all being offended by her puppy behavior and seemingly delighted by it. She said Lucy was a very nice puppy
. I'm going to start bringing her on the weekends and we'll have some time on the field privately before the big group gets there. My concern is she's young, and I do not want to start serious training before she's ready for it. I was impressed by what I saw from the other dogs.
This club does trials on site- the trainer is from Germany and she flies people in to do them. I wish I had more experience to evaluate the situation because I feel like bad training might be worse than no training.
Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks John. What I saw was very positive and the dogs looked like they were having a great time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts