German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old should a pup be prior to getting this vaccine? Is 4 months too young? Is the vaccine even necessary if the pup will be doing conformation classes in an indoor building with a handful of other dogs, but no boarding/day care/etc.? What are your opinions? Thank you

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for your responses and opinions. I would prefer not to give her the vaccine.

Here is her picture. Her name is Verusha.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
This vaccine is fairly innocuous -- I give it as required for boarding or other activities. It's kind of like the human flu shot -- it only covers some of the many viruses that cause bordatella. But because it is required and relatively innocuous, I will do it.

Charming pup BTW.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Canine NON-Core Vaccines by Dr. Jean Dodds -Vaccination Research:
"I do not suggest parainfluenza, adenovirus-2, Bordetella, or even canine influenza, Lyme and leptospirosis vaccines, unless a local endemic or other high exposure risk circumstances exist. I certainly do not want a dog given all of these vaccines in one veterinary visit."

Moms :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Both our puppies got this shot around 4 months. They didn't do them with the rest of the shots and we got them because we go to the dog park. I know the dog park is a controversial topic but both puppies love it and we have a good group of dogs at ours. We have not had a bad experience "yet" … ;)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I don't remember the last time I gave a Bordetella vaccine. If I needed to I suppose I would but for the situation you describe I wouldn't bother. I don't believe I have ever heard of a reaction to it either though.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The one and only time myboy was given this vaccine via nasal spray was as a 6mo old and because I had him in a good day care a couple hours once per week. At the time, we also had our 12 yr old girl at home. This is circumstantial but... after waiting the correct amount of days from the nasal spray, he went back to daycare. Within I think two weeks, one or two dogs from day care contracted the virus and a couple days later so did my old girl. It was the only time she was ever sick and it scared the dickens out of me. I stopped the daycare because of that vaccine requirement. It just wasn't worth risking that again.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I don't do it unless I have to. Our vet requires it if a procedure is going to be done. Such as x-rays that require anesthesia, dental cleaning or any surgery that is going to require a day or more in the kennel area with other dogs.
When our girl was young and we did the dog park we had to give it to get the required permit.
Both of my vets have told me that it is hit or miss with effectiveness. However they recommend it if there is a greater risk of continuous exposure.
We don't board or use a groomer so we haven't given it in years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts