German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for booties for my boy. We do a lot of hiking and snow coming soon along with ice. What are the best for his protection? I’ve bought done before but they were horrible. Need good protection, fit and comfort. TIA

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Stop, just stop. No sweaters, raincoats, booties...
The best protection and traction/safety for his feet are already attached.....toughen up those pads.:LOL:

As someone who does serious woods and mountain hiking in real Winter conditions, they're not necessary unless you're sled mushing with your dog. I'm sure others would and will disagree.:p

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
No booties here either. Mushers Secret is a good idea if you spend much time on salted walkways.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Yes. +1 on Musher's Secret.

IMO, save the booties (Ruffwear does make good ones) for skijoring & cani-cross- both which I highly recommend you try!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, burs, sticks, cuts can cause lots of issues and infection. Ozzy does not care where he wells he just goes. I do use good stuff for his paws during the cold weather can’t remember the name. Remember paws can freeze too. Tough or not

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stop, just stop. No sweaters, raincoats, booties...
The best protection and traction/safety for his feet are already attached.....toughen up those pads.:LOL:

As someone who does serious woods and mountain hiking in real Winter conditions, they're not necessary unless you're sled mushing with your dog. I'm sure others would and will disagree.:p
Where did I ask about a sweaters or rain coats. Heck I even shave my dog in the dummer as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,300 Posts
If they have a lot of fur between their pads, trim it short. Other than that, something like musher's secret helps protect their pads from ice melter. If they are regularly active (daily) they will be fine unless you live where it gets really cold, like northern Canada or Alaska.

·
Super Moderator
4,300 Posts
I got Ruffwear boots for Fama in Afghanistan to deal with the heat. I wish I had video of the first time I put them on her. We were "home" in our plywood shack up on stilts. She sounded like a herd of elephants stomping around the CHU. It still makes me laugh remembering it.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Mushers Secret! Yes! But fair warning, Shadow likes the taste and thinks it's some kind of weird game where I put treats on her feets. Lol.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I got Ruffwear boots for Fama in Afghanistan to deal with the heat. I wish I had video of the first time I put them on her. We were "home" in our plywood shack up on stilts. She sounded like a herd of elephants stomping around the CHU. It still makes me laugh remembering it.
It particularly funny when you see them flicking their legs out trying to kicks the booties off while staring at you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts