German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.. a friend of mine is from Ecuador and the earthquake just hit there. Their search dogs are getting their feet all cut up and she would like to buy some booties of sorts for them to help.. do you have any suggestions on kinds to buy?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Nope. Maybe someone who has done disaster.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
We have booties in our cache, but rarely use them. Our USAR dogs splay their feet and need to be able to feel what's under them, so the booties are not used. I need my dog to be able to use her feet to get over obstacles.

Reactions: cgripp256

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Whitney I think remember that during 9/11 many people donated booties to the dogs working the site. I will check out some SAR sites and see. I agree Kevlar would probably work. I also remember another disaster where folks were donating to the SAR and detection dogs.I just saw this post two minutes ago. Ill check around.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I would think it is pretty risky to run a disaster search dog in 4 booties, if they can't grip they are at risk. I just carry booties (Ruff wear) for injury. You could just get regular sled dog booties. They are just the fabric but will serve as some protection. Mind have a bit of rubber plastic on the bottoms. Kevlar might cost a bit.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I did the sock thing for Grim when he got a staph infection on his foot and it was healing. He even passed his NAPWDA test while we were dealing with it but I pulled off the sock during the rubble test and then washed his feet off with betadine rinse when he was done. That picture is exactly how I did the sock.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have previously used the Ruffwear GripTrex (I think) boots for my dog and broken glass/debris had no effect on his feet thanks to them. Mind you my boy is not a SAR dog though. Just a suggestion! goodluck

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got mine at ruff wear as well. The dogs do need to get used to them. I did get a discount for being a SAR member. I didn't like the ones I got tho, I think they were the grip trex, the ones I got were sturdy but that meant the rubber sole of the bootie was bulky and very clumsy for walking. I did not get my dog used to wearing these as they were just to bulky in the sole, I thought the smaller bootie would probably work. Only bought them to keep in my pack in case of need, never did need to use them.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much guys. The problem is that the dogs are cutting up their pads and feet and I think they are having to take their dogs out of searches because of it.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Yeah. My guess is the dogs weren't conditioned properly to the conditions they are searching on. So not sure if these are trained USAR dogs, or just local search dogs. But in circumstances like they are faced with, I guess you go with what you have.

I would not put booties on a dog on the rubble. It's something to get caught, which can injure the dog more. USAR dogs work "naked". If a bootie gets hung up on a nail or something as the dog takes a jump, you now have a seriously injured canine. It's just not safe.

Please wish your friend a good and fruitful search. God Bless

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. My guess is the dogs weren't conditioned properly to the conditions they are searching on. So not sure if these are trained USAR dogs, or just local search dogs. But in circumstances like they are faced with, I guess you go with what you have.

I would not put booties on a dog on the rubble. It's something to get caught, which can injure the dog more. USAR dogs work "naked". If a bootie gets hung up on a nail or something as the dog takes a jump, you now have a seriously injured canine. It's just not safe.

Please wish your friend a good and fruitful search. God Bless
Definitely will. Thank you for the insight!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was just having a discussion at work with a handler of a scent dog used for detecting fire accelerants (think arson) and asked if they wore booties into the scene and the answer was no.

His explanation was that the dog needs to be able to feel the debris to actually navigate around and know when not to proceed. If for instance she got too deep into some hot debris things could get a lot worse than if she began to feel the slight discomfort early on. I was surprised but the explanation made sense too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
One thing i learned. Naked and offlead the dog is far less likely to shred paws than if they have to navigate with a lead. Some dogs are more kamikaze than others on rubble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts