German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been three weeks since I had to make one of the most difficult decisions I can ever remember and even now am rethinking my decision over and over. It all started the last Sunday of May. Boo which was my 8 and a half year old Shepherd threw up his dinner which was not common but, seeing part of a piece of paper towel knew he must have gotten some trash that he shouldn't have. As Monday came and went he did not want to eat, Tuesday same thing. I went and got him a can of food ( which was a treat to him) he ate the half can I gave him and I felt some relief. Wednesday evening after getting him to eat the other half of the can I noticed when I took him out that his urine seemed darker than usual almost brownish. So I'm thinking urinary track infection maybe worse case bladder infection. Thursday morning I called the vet and fortunately they had a cancellation so I took him in thinking they would put him on an antibiotic and all would be. O.k. The vet felt what she said was a large mass in the abdomen area and requested X-rays blood work etc. the X-ray came back and showed a mass but the vet could not tell what exactly it was attached to. We scheduled exploratory surgery for Friday morning...and she gave me the news I was not expecting or ready for. He had not only developed cancer but it had spread to most of his organs?. She recommended that I let him go while he was under sedation saying that there was little time left and that he would be in terrible pain. I just couldn't and still can't believe how a playful fun loving dog can go from one extreme to the other in a week. This is the first time I have been able to even type out this without totally blubbering like an infant. I think about him constantly wishing I could have had a better goodbye. I have seen and read other similar experiences so I know others are or have felt this pain. I just can't stop thinking of him and how much a part of our family he was.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I am sorry for your loss of Boo :( It is very hard to watch them go from a playful spark of life, to having to make one of the hardest decisions in your life. My condolences to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I feel for you. I totally understand you and your going through the same thoughts my family and myself went through at that time. You can't blame or second guess yourself. It'll drive you crazy. You did what was best for him.

It took us the better part of almost two years before we got another pup. Our GSD was almost 13 yrs. We did everything possible, it was just his time. It will just take time and everyones different and it's alright to miss him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts