German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading up quite a bit on the net but am looking for recommended books that will cover everything, including recipes. I have dabbled with supplemental raw and high quality kibble but would like completely transition. Sometimes it seems pretty simple and easy but other times the science scares me, especially with my new puppy coming next month. I have seen some reviews from the WDJ and they said many of the books out there on the subject are severely lacking. one that they recommended was Dr. Beckers Real Food for Healthy dogs and Cats. I found it used on Amazon for a hefty price of 75 to 95$ and even new prices of hundreds. Is this book worth the price. Are there others you would recommend? I really want one that meets nutritional guide lines and can be used for all stages with recipes.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The book that got me started with raw is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Give-Your-Do...23640412&sr=8-1&keywords=give+your+dog+a+bone

(Give your dog a Bone by Ian Billinghurst).

Not sure if there are actually recipes included (it's been a while), but this is the book that explained raw so well, that it gave me the confidence to grab a chicken quarter and run with it.

Used copies available at very affordable prices.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess no one reads books anymore? how about places webpages or anything that has balanced meal recipes. my biggest fear is with a puppy and messing them up with inappropriate ratios to lack of nutrients.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I believe there is a change in bone ratio that Billinghurst recommends --
more than 10 but less than 25 for an an adult dog

this was told to me by aperson who attended a recent seminar . I'll ask her when I see her on Friday.

I don't know if there is a revised edition

quote "reviews from the WDJ and they said many of the books out there on the subject are severely lacking"

I do agree . Some are just terrible . Seems like they are written by and for people who obsess and like to be
over busy , unnecessarily so.

Kymythy Schultze has a good and easy to follow book .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe there is a change in bone ratio that Billinghurst recommends --
more than 10 but less than 25 for an an adult dog

this was told to me by aperson who attended a recent seminar . I'll ask her when I see her on Friday.

I don't know if there is a revised edition

quote "reviews from the WDJ and they said many of the books out there on the subject are severely lacking"

I do agree . Some are just terrible . Seems like they are written by and for people who obsess and like to be
over busy , unnecessarily so.

Kymythy Schultze has a good and easy to follow book .
ordered thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts