German Shepherds Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is not a book, I just really like YouTube and the Training Positive guy named Tab289, He is awesome. Check him out if you want tips and tricks, he shows you how to do them. I also believe he went to school for animal behavior, or something like that haha. But I really like his episodes! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see no one mentioned Control Unleashed. I am waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail and wonder if any of you read it and your opinions?
I have it (ordered it about 3weeks ago) I can't put it down. It's simple to the point and breaks the behaviour down into Layman's terms. Tell you what exercises to do and what age the pup/dog should be for that exercise.

Dog Toys, Dog Treats, Dog Agility Supplies, Dog Training Supplies

www.leerburg.com best dog site ever (vcr41)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Here is a good one to add:

The Thinking Dog-Crossover to Clicker Training by Gail Tamases Fisher

It is about clicker training, but goes much further then that. Goes into depth on working with how your dog thinks. Have a hilighter handy as you read.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The secret lives of dogs

164 page book by Jana Murphy and the editors of Pets, part of the family.

I received this book as a gift shortly after I got my new pup last July. Entertaining and informative.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Andrew is reading something called,
u.s military working dog handbook department of defense
And a great SAR book i cant recall the name of, (which i will read once he is done,)

I am reading the newest Vogue.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman is beautifully written and has two very lifelike German shepherds in it.
-Emily
Macro z Gildaf Von Schraderhaus " Skadi"
Viking z Gildaf Von Schraderhaus " Grim"

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Suspect, by Robert Crais - a fictional crime story. The K9 name Maggie has PTSD.

I enjoyed the GSD character and the LAPD dog trainer so much, I didn't want the book to end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any suggestions for which book would be best for someone who wants to know how to take care of a GSD puppy and as it gets older. I would like a book which covers the basics of how to properly take care of, socialize, train, feed etc the dog.

Some of the books mentioned in this thread seemed to be for expert dog trainers (John Cree's "Training the German Shepherd Dog").

Is there 2 or 3 titles you could suggest for the novice pet owner?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Blaze
by Robert Somerlott
Fiction
A really good twist on the "boy and his dog" genre,
written by a gentleman who owns German Shepherds,
and it shows in the amount of useful info hidden in the story!
I also enjoy the fact that the main character shares my first name !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought with so many new members coming on board recently, it might be a good time to post some of our favorite books we’ve read on the most wonderful breed of all… the German Shepherd.
They can be about training, behavior, the breed in general, rescue or adoption or any others you feel might be helpful to those that are new to the breed or for those of us that just can’t seem to get enough!

One of the books I’ve recently read (even though not GSD specific) was “A Dogs Mind: Understanding Your Dogs Behavior,” by Bruce Fogle. I found it very interesting how he explains the pack mentality of dogs (no matter how domesticated they’ve become, it will exist) and how many of the everyday behaviors we see in our dogs have been ingrained in their genetic make up. He explains possible reasons why a dog may behave in a certain way, good or bad, and gives insight how to correct it.
Another very interesting thing he goes in to is how hormones play in to their behavior. What changes take place chemically and hormonally when a bitch gives birth and how those hormones effect the pups. He also explains the the stages of development the puppies go through and how our behavior as well as the mother’s effects their later behavior and development. He also discusses the effects of spaying and neutering.

It’s more along the lines of a scientific study than just a normal behavioral book. He goes in to a bit more detail than most books I’ve read and he uses basic physiology terminology to explain the behaviors we see in our dogs. I found it very interesting and would highly recommend it to anyone who is really interested in getting into their dogs head!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My father and I just published a book about his experiences in Baghdad with German Shepherds Laky and Toris. The book is receiving great reviews and is only available on the website dogsof2warsstore.com Here is a photo of the cover. Dad, was always burdened by the fact that thousands of people are alive today because of dogs no one knew about. Well, until now.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts