German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried giving their puppies bones that have the marrow still in them? The local grocery store sells cut up bones with the marrow still in them. I was thinking of buying some and cooking them then freezing them and let my puppy have one from time to time when just won't calm down. He is 12 weeks now and is almost thirty pounds but he has not stopped teathing. I figured I would give this a try. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No don't cook the bone, feed it raw to prevent splintering

For a puppy I'd scoop out most of the marrow then freeze it before feeding to make it last longer

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We get small round marrow bones, frozen, Don't cook them! =) (at the grocery store if you ask the butcher, they have them in the back and super cheap!)

Our breeder, friends and the vet recommended because it has the hardness puppy is looking for, but wont brake teeth, will help first teeth to come out and keeps him busy and happy. Also our puppys ears stood up at 10 weeks because of his muscles developing on his jaw and forehead from chewing.

Our pup has not chipped any of them and able to get some marrow out.

We let him play with it for a few hours until he is done and refreeze it, usually let him have it 2-3 days. i know some people just leave em out but because puppys can't get all the marrow out, it will smell and spoil.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I said cook them I meant that I was going to boil them till the marrow turned brown then freeze them. But I guess I will give him the bones raw. thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The marrow is a great treat! Definitely feed raw, cooking bones of any kind is a big no-no. For a pup, I'd second the recommendation to get the small ones from the grocery store (they're about an inch or so thick). My dogs get the long ones and our butcher will also cut them to whatever size we want.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Cooking the bones is definitely a no. It can make the bone splinter. Same goes for microwaving, it can kill the good bacteria in the raw food and if it has a bone inside it, it will cook the bone.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I am going to the store to get more today, i think this is our solution to rock eating lol!

·
Banned
377 Posts
I freeze the bones then give them to her frozen. They thaw out gradually. I make sure the bones are 4 - 6 inches so that she can't get all of the marrow. Too much marrow gives her the runs. When it is thawed, I dig out most of the marrow and throw it out.
Rock eating is hard to break. Usually they just grow out of it. In the meantime they have to be supervised and you have to
keep hydrogen peroxide on hand to make them throw up the ones they swallow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so raw it is. I'm also glad that other people feed them to their Shepherd's. I needs to find something other than our furniture to help with his teething. What do you mean by "good bacteria"?

·
Registered
766 Posts
"Cooking would render the food biologically inappropriate in a fundamental way. Cooked food loses much nutritional value, including enzymes and biologically active essential fatty acids. The latter, being damaged by heat and oxygen, become slow poisons, doing irreparable damage. Cooking causes complexes to form between proteins and starches, between vitamins and trace minerals, and between minerals. Cooking produces carcinogens and anti-immunogens. Many minerals, essential amino acids and vitamins also become indigestible."

via BARF Diet - Frequently Asked Questions - Pet Diet, Raw Food Products & Supplements for Dogs & Cats and I've read very similar things in raw food diet books :)

If it's frozen you can defrost in lukewarm water or the fridge :) .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. How often do you all give one to your puppies. Is it a daily treat or just once in a while? I just don't want to over do it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I only give my pup a RMB about twice a week, if he didn't get a bully stick instead. :) I thought about going raw, but it was financially feasible for me.

He gets his bone for 30 minutes (under supervision) on a towel or small blanket so I can wash it. I put it back in the bag and put in the fridge and it normally gets 2 more 30 minute sessions before it gets thrown out. Just watch out how much marrow your pup eats, too much can cause diarrhea.

·
Registered
629 Posts
About 3x a week right out of the freezer! But I don't count it as his RMB portion of his diet though just as a treat, he isn't a hard chewer, just works to get the marrow out. Sometimes I'll re-fill the hollow bone with peanut butter and some dried liver then freeze and give that too -he likes it just as much and keeps him busy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts