German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 or so days, my dog's poo has been hard like little rocks. Do you think it could be because he ate a bone? It was one of those cooked basted bone things from the pet store. We've never given him one before, but the exterior sort of flakes off easily, and then he made short work of busting it in half and chewing it up. He is perfectly fine and happy, I just was wondering if anyone knew if it could effect his stools. We've since taken the bone from him.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yup, it's because of the bone. Be careful how much edible bone you give; too much will constipate your dog. You should also avoid cooked bone because it splinters and can potentially be very dangerous for your dog. Raw and frozen raw bones are safe.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Agreed. My dog's 'production' occasionally gets that way when she gets a bone she can grind some pieces off. We boil the very hard beef bones that she usually can't get much off, just uses them as pacifiers. We are considering going to frozen raw but she has gotten the opposite results from them on occasion.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah I notice Brody gets like that too when he has too much bone in his diet!

·
Registered
929 Posts
wait what kind of bones harden/consipate?
thats odd, i would have never thoought of that..

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm with shilorio. I've never had it happen to my dogs. They each get one of those bones that has meat on it and it flakes off. The dogs go through one a piece in about a week and a half. Their stools are always constant unless I switch up food.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The kind of bone doesn't matter- ALL bone, when given in large quantities, can constipate your dog. How much the dog can handle is up to the individual dog of course.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I gave my 4 gsd's beef basted bones from the pet store yesterday to have while we were eating thanksgiving dinner. Afterwards I found sharp pieces of bone in their kennels. Today diarrehea and pup threw up some pieces of the bone. I will never give this type of bone again. They seem ok, but I am keeping a close eye on them for the next few days.

Cheryl

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
go with raw meaty knucklebones(soupbone) if you feel the need to feed a bone. More nutrition in the cartilege and it doesn't splinter, or have the marrow of other bones. Pull it before it dries out, fridge for the next session~ then toss when it looks dry.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information, everyone. Yes, it was the bone that made his turds so hard like rocks. Since I've taken it from him, they've returned to normal. I give him the rawhide bones now, and they don't do that to him. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've always used femur bones (beef) cooked and raw.
when they were cooked they were baked for 20 minutes or so.
i've never had a femur bone splinter.

Yup, it's because of the bone. Be careful how much edible bone you give; too much will constipate your dog. You should also avoid cooked bone because it splinters and can potentially be very dangerous for your dog. Raw and frozen raw bones are safe.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Scandal alert ! Warning warning ! :

I have fed my dogs cooked bones for years with no problems at all . Whole chicken roast carcasses ? Karma ate one two nights ago. Delicious !!!!!

I think that myth is just that ......a myth !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts