German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend has been really sick for several weeks with an upper respiratory thing. May have been RSV. As a result I have been doing grocery shopping and other errands for her. Last Tuesday I just had to drop off a few things so I brought Jasper and Frankie with me for the car ride. Since I was only going to give her the items and not visit I left the dogs in the truck with the back windows rolled down halfway. My friend and I are standing outside her front door chatting and here comes Frankie.

That bonehead jumped out the window. Now he is 26" tall and around 85#. How he managed to get through that window! He did scraped his muzzle to pink just below his nose. It's almost all healed.

Wondering what kind of bonehead stunts anyone else's dogs have done...

· Administrator
10,244 Posts
How about I was the 18yr old bonehead that did the exact same thing, except my dog was straight from the shelter and I was running inside the store to buy some last minute supplies for her. I came out to an empty car…. began searching the immediate area - i’ll never forget the woman who offered to help and asked me “what’s her name?” lol, she didn’t have one! Anyway… she’d only made it a couple of blocks away and someone had her in their yard.

· Registered
1,451 Posts
I left Willow in the bed of my work truck once (I only let her ride free in the bed when we're driving slowly on gravel forest roads). She had never shown any inclination to jump out of the bed. Parked for a few minutes to walk like 30 feet up the hill with my coworker to look at something, figured she'd be fine for a minute or two. She did NOT like being left behind. And rather than jump out of the truck on the 2 sides that would have been lower, she chose the one side with my toolbox on it, and ended up climbing onto the toolbox and jumping down a solid 6 feet.

Amazed she didn't hurt herself. That was the last time I left her in the truck bed.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
It's so hard to pick just one. I'm certain I am one giant bone head.

Most recently.....I was out at night with Apex playing. He is running at me. I shine the flash light right in his eyes blinding him - I know I'm super smart - he plows right into this stupid dog igloo. It's never been used neighbors gave it to me just sits there. I hate that thing even more now. He hit that thing hard. He is a tough dog and it knocked him a little silly - head shake and all

Felt horrible lol

· Registered
8,108 Posts
I did the same at a gas station, went inside to pay and the next person that opened the door let my dog in with him and she trotted right up to the cash.

The best was with a puppy and she was sleeping on the seat beside me, I ran into a country dog food store, she woke up and stood on the door sill .... and locked the car. It was Winter, keys were inside, car was running. Not my best day :mad:

· Registered
1,061 Posts
My most bonehead events usually involve car trips and letting the dog out to do his business without first checking for horse or cow poop. The windows are rolled all the way down for the rest of the trip, no matter how cold it is outside.

What is it with dogs and rolling in slightly aged poop?

· Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,648 Posts
One time my dad had his k9 training group out at our place for training and I left Nadja in the bed of the pick up (it has a canopy) with one of the windows slid partially open. It completely slipped my mind that we were about to start protection work so she was going insane trying to get out because the decoy was only 20 feet away in a bite suit. She tried to climb out that 6 inch window so I put her in the house after she had her turn. Another time she chased a squirrel over the edge of the washout and jumped down about 12 feet. Luckily she landed in soft sand and was fine but she gave me a heart attack.

· Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
1,277 Posts
Nova seems to have a death wish when it comes to play equipment at the park! I actually leash her near it a lot of the time now, she wants to barrel up and down as fast as she can go and she seems to think she can fly!
Lol I remember the first time Ellie went down the slide at the park, she did it a few times before she realized maybe it wasn’t made for dogs.

· Registered
2,910 Posts
My most bonehead events usually involve car trips and letting the dog out to do his business without first checking for horse or cow poop. The windows are rolled all the way down for the rest of the trip, no matter how cold it is outside.

What is it with dogs and rolling in slightly aged poop?
Nitro one time rolled in something, it must have been particularly awesome, then he looked at me as if to invite me to have a roll in it too. He's such a thoughtful dog.

· Registered
2,133 Posts
we left the pb in the car at the convenience store and he stood on the arm rest and locked the doors. So out we come and go to open the door and the theft alarm goes off. NOTHING we could do but stand there. Finally started pulling fuses in the engine until the noise stopped and we could key the door open. I suppose I shouldn't complain, all that noise did attract attention.

· Registered
Pippin Golden Retriever 2/6/14, Theo GSD 3/26/22
1,653 Posts
Shared this on another thread but Just last month Theo was riding shotgun in the car on our way to our hiking place when I noticed my son playing fetch with his dog on the park, I slowed down, rolled the window halfway down to wave and Theo jumped out the window of the slowly moving car. He got a little stuck because the window was only partial down, face planted on the side walk. Without missing a beat he got up ran and stole the ball from my sons dog.
I felt so terrible 😣. He didn’t have a mark on him. He got a puppicino afterward

· Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,155 Posts
The best was with a puppy and she was sleeping on the seat beside me, I ran into a country dog food store, she woke up and stood on the door sill .... and locked the car. It was Winter, keys were inside, car was running. Not my best day :mad:
@WNGD So far, THAT one takes the cake!

· Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,155 Posts
Nova seems to have a death wish when it comes to play equipment at the park! I actually leash her near it a lot of the time now, she wants to barrel up and down as fast as she can go and she seems to think she can fly!
An agility champ in the making!

• Haha
Reactions: bchevs

· Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,155 Posts
Shared this on another thread but Just last month Theo was riding shotgun in the car on our way to our hiking place when I noticed my son playing fetch with his dog on the park, I slowed down, rolled the window halfway down to wave and Theo jumped out the window of the slowly moving car. He got a little stuck because the window was only partial down, face planted on the side walk. Without missing a beat he got up ran and stole the ball from my sons dog.
I felt so terrible 😣. He didn’t have a mark on him. He got a puppicino afterward
I always feel particularly terrible when a bonehead move on my part ends up with the dog paying the price. So far nothing has resulted in serious harm but you still feel terrible.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts