German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I just love to see Rex happy and I think him enjoying a real bone is one of the things he loves.

I am talking about recreational and not bones he eats in his raw food.

So big hard bones that have cartilage and bone marrow inside. They bring several types, ostrich, big animals etc...

I know that cracking of teeth is a worry but I always supervise him and he seems to know how much pressure to use. So I think we are good there.

Are there any contraindications to this? If it makes him that happy, can I give him say 3 times a week a big bone to enjoy? Does it wear out his teeth? Is it healthy over all? Or other issues?

Thank you

Mozi

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
They are good to keep the teeth clean but can wear the teeth down. I give the Icelandic lamb horn on occassion. Max’s teeth are worn down a Avid ball dog so I do keep things down to minimum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You might think about limiting bones to just once a week, observe & check teeth and perhaps go to 2-3 times a week if all is okay. Let him clean the goodies off the bone and then take away and discard. Wear on the canine teeth, might be something to be concerned with as well.

One of the reasons I quit giving Cassie beef bones, was that my prior dog had fractured a tooth that went unnoticed and then got infected. That led to a huge dental bill of thousands of dollars and the extraction of several teeth.

My puppy, Cassie, is now 8 months. Some of the chew items I gave her early on, I quit giving her, as her permanent teeth started coming in. I did give Cassie some beef bones early on.

I can't say exactly how my prior dog fractured a tooth. I'm just being cautious to hopefully avoid a fractured tooth or excessive wear of her canine teeth.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
When my boy realized that he could crack a bone to get more marrow is when he became a pretty aggressive chewer so keep tabs on his chewing style.

·
Super Moderator
5,498 Posts
I buy the Icelandic lamb horns too. Kinda stinky, but I don't worry about them breaking a tooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts