German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of activities do you partake in to bond with your GSD, indoor/outdoor? Are there any long time standards out there developed by trainers on how to bond with your dog? I ride my bike with my boy next to me running at the same pace. I occassional touch, pet, and praise him when the is running beside me, is this creating a bond and trust. I don't typically praise him with any treats because I have been more accustomed to making sure I am not falling off my bike, but I am at the stage where I think I can rig something to hold them, would this benifit our bond?Please comment, thank you...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Biking is great exercise, and helps but the best thing for bonding with a dog is training (provided it's fun and not based solely on compulsion) and playing. Even better playing a structured game that leads into training. Anything that gets the dog focusing on you and working with you as a team will create a major bond.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Training is our primary method of bonding. We do everything from Schutzhund, rally, obedience, pet therapy, herding, and agility. Kenya will lie down next to me with her head on my lap, but other than that, she is not one to solicit lots of petting, belly rubbing, etc. She's a pretty serious, no-nonsense dog. To her, life means working - doing activities, solving problems, getting things done. I adopted her at age 3.5 and two weeks after I picked her up we started agility class. I've had her less than a year and we've completed eight different training classes and got five new titles. When we are not training, she generally keeps to herself - resting in her crate or under my desk. We also do long walks and biking.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I agree - training with positive methods. All that great one on one time and it's fun.

Group classes give the plus of training with all types of distractions.

Biking and walks are good, but training gives you both a chance to build the trust and respect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the input. As I have outlined in other posts of this forum, I have two GSDs, one which is a little over 2 years (Hartwin) and another that is about to round 11 months (Maximillion). I have bonded with Hartwin and I am currently focusing on developing the same bond with Max. My question is how do I go about ensuring that I devote the neccessary one on one time with Max while not losing the bond I have with Hartwin? Hartwin was my only boy for the longest time and I didn't need to determine how I would split time between dogs. Now I am in the situation where I am kind of lost. From any of your experiences or knowledge, what is the best way of going about this?

Lies, congrats on the titles. I have trained Hartwin and Max the basics (sitz, plotz, blieb, etc). I make them work like they would naturally in nature to get their food, nothing major, but a simple sitz, plotz, and some solid eye contact. You say kenya is all about work, what type of level one activities, problem solving, could i employ around the house to get them started with working?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Just train them individually. All of you being together around the house is not a big deal, even though you need to give them a little one on one time there too, but take each one outside or even better away from the house and train and socialize. Take turns. This way you develop a bond with each individual dog. Don't forget to play while training. You want to be the most fun thing in their lives.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When training the two individually, what is a reasonable amount of time I should focus on each, and how often. Should I aim for an hour or two a day with each everyday? Or should I train with each on seperate days? In all of your experience, what has worked for you?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
An hour is an eternity for a dog to focus on training while having fun. It is almost impossible if you're actually training for that long. 10 - 15 minute bursts of training once, maybe twice a day is plenty. Mix in some play time before and after (fetch, two ball, maybe long retrieves with a ball launcher and working on recall with speed) and you will only have to walk them for pleasure not exercise (especially if working the recall with a ball launcher, this really burns them out after 7 or 8 times).

Keep it fun for the dogs and keep them wanting more. I have two working line GSD's that I train in Schutzhund and I only train for about 20 minutes each unless there is something I am specifically working on.

·
Super Moderator
32,310 Posts
When I'm training, it's anywhere from 15-20 minutes up to an hour or more. The longer sessions are training walks where we're working on leash skills and practicing other skills around distractions. So we may walk for awhile and then practice down stays on a busy street corner. Or work on heeling for a bit, and then I release them to go sniff and we'll do some loose leash walking, maybe alternating speed between fast (a light jog), normal walking speed, and walking very slowly. Or we'll go to the rec center around the corner and do focus exercises while the kids practice softball or hang out next to the basketball court. So although we could be gone from 45 minutes to an hour and a half it's not intense training that entire time.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
One of the things that I learned from DaKota was bonding is very important. She showed me what she liked alot. That was a good brushing & combing after a short training cession. She absolutely loves me touching her all over. Massaging after a good cession is good bonding also.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of your input has been of great help. I have started working with both Hartwin and Max individually. When training for the 10-20 minutes, I structure it so that I start with a command telling them that I am ready to train, then I grab some treats in both hands, and in this latest instance, work on the focus command for about 10 - 15 reps. I then take a tennis ball out of my pocket, hold it up as I do the treats when I work the focus command, make them look me in the eye, then praise them and throw the ball to them about 10 times. I then repeat and finally finish with a release command. Does this structure sound sufficient, or should I up the reps, repeat the sequence more, or follow another sequence? Please comment...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you're rigging something to hold what? if your dog is running beside you while your riding a bike i don't think that's a good time to treat. giving your dog a treat while running isn't a ggod idea. treat him after the run. as far as bonding i've never worked on bonding. it's a natural occurrence. when you feed, play, treat, brush, bathe, your dog bonding occurrs. when you pet your dog or hug them, when they lick you or lay near you i think that's bonding. all of your interactions with your dog is a part of bonding.
Originally Posted By: jdsd21What type of activities do you partake in to bond with your GSD, indoor/outdoor? Are there any long time standards out there developed by trainers on how to bond with your dog? I ride my bike with my boy next to me running at the same pace. I occassional touch, pet, and praise him when the is running beside me, is this creating a bond and trust. I don't typically praise him with any treats because I have been more accustomed to making sure I am not falling off my bike, but I am at the stage where I think I can rig something to hold them, would this benifit our bond?Please comment, thank you...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts