German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, I'm here with a kinda sappy question I suppose. Is it normal for German Shepherd pups to be very independent? Is it something they grow out of? I know a couple people who have GSD and there dogs ADORE them. Ryker on the other hand, isn't much for loving and cuddling. He would rather run away from you and play. He loves to play with people and loves to greet everyone, he's a good boy like that. BUT, that aside, he is still very independent. He HATES being held. He whine and whines until you let him go. He knows to let me hold him (with a big grumpy sigh from him) because he knows I'm not gonna let him go if he whines like a big baby. He's 12 weeks, and although he does follow me around it doesn't seem like he ADORES me like other GSD's do their owners. We are going to obedience classes either this Saturday or 2 weeks after (pay day haha), and I know this may help with our bond. So I probably confused you all, but my main concern is is this a stage he will grow out of? And what can I do to improve the bond? He gets upset when I leave a room without him, but I feel that's normal "you feed me so I should keep an eye on you I guess" behavior. Thanks again :)
Madison

P.s. I also had a lab so I'm probably just doing what I said I wouldn't do and compare me and elvis's bond to me and Rykers. Bad, bad I know! It's just I miss that dog so **** much and sometimes it's hard not to do. Hopefully you guys will understand :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I first got my puppy she was the same way. Once we started our training the bond grew. If you want her to cuddle and be around you I would recommend giving her treats whenever she is close. I did this when we first got our cat and she had a high prey drive but now she never leaves my side even when he is around. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I have a 6.5 month old, and my wife always comments that she's very aloof. However, even though she doesn't cuddle, I see her watch my every move. she's always waiting for me to tell her something, ask her to do something. They connect in their own way.

If she's in the mood, she'll lick me to death.
Other times, I could sit next to her, and she will literally get up, and go to the other side of the room. :)

Oh, and what Rocketdog said.... She's only 12 weeks old. How can she possibly even have had enough time to bond?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm in the same situation as Anthony. Razzle is also 6.5 months old. He isn't a cuddler by any means. However, he's definitely my shadow. He knows when I leave a room. He sleeps by my side of the bed. If I take a bath, he lays outside of the bathroom...even if the rest of the family/dogs are downstairs. This was an adjustment for me as well as I am used to dachshunds who HAVE to be in your lap all the time.

I think the training class will help strengthen the bond between you and your pup. To be honest, I bet the bond is already there and you just don't recognize it yet :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
And some ARE more aloof than others. The bond is not necessarily cuddling but a connection that you can feel even at a distance. I agree there is nothing like the bond you get when you work that dog.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I was afraid Niko was never going to be a cuddly dog, but he turned into one. It just has to be at certain times. He doesn't want to be loved on when we are doing stuff outside or training, but first thing in the morning there is nothing he likes more than a good belly rub! When he was a puppy he did exactly what your pup does. I think, like everyone has said, you just need to give him more time.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with Nancy
The bond is not necessarily cuddling but a connection that you can feel even at a distance
Masi was not a "in your lap hold me" type of puppy, but she has always been attached to my leg:)

Even at 3, sure she'll sprawl on top of me, lick me to death, happy happy, but she isn't a real cuddly "hug me" type dog. She does know my every move tho, is very in tuned to what I'm doing and yes, I'd say very bonded to me..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts