1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
The way the reporter started to rise by getting up and over the dog like he did, it was almost a challenge to the dog. Officer not alert to the position/nerves of either. Too bad.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
yes, I thought the dog looked uncomfortable. It didnt surprise me that he bit. I wouldnt think alot of dogs would like someone hovering around them like that. I dont know if its the first time the dog ever saw this guy?
PS after I saw this, I saw a Malinois Security Dog bite one of the football players! Did you see that one? (he ran into the sidelines and I think thats when the security dog grabbed him)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: Sashmomyes, I thought the dog looked uncomfortable. It didnt surprise me that he bit. I wouldnt think alot of dogs would like someone hovering around them like that. I dont know if its the first time the dog ever saw this guy?
PS after I saw this, I saw a Malinois Security Dog bite one of the football players! Did you see that one? (he ran into the sidelines and I think thats when the security dog grabbed him)
Yeah, I just saw. Well he was standing there, over the dog, hands out, probably shouting, the dog probably got nervous.

G

·
0 Posts
I've seen this one many times before. Yep two errors led to this. Certainly the reporter made an error, but then he's not the person with the dog. He may not know anything about dogs for all we know. One would hope that the K9 officer would. You can see though that he has let his guard down and is focusing in on the reporter when he should be focusing on his partner. Perhaps he's new to canines or perhaps he just messed up. We'll never know from a 30 second snippet of video.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's the first time I have seen the video but funny you mentioned. I just finished reading a book by Patricia McConnell (For the Love of Dog) and she refers to this video. She points out the obvious signals the dog is sending and the reasons he would be nervous (as another poster noted). Unfortunately, neither saw or recognized them.

On the other hand, the book was fantastic.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
what I saw instantly was the dog moving away from the reporter, that would have been enough to alert me something was going to happen, but like it was said in an earlier post, officer was not watching his partner, where i go for training were taught military style and to learn the dogs body language, BTW that bite had to really hurt

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
I've seen this short clip before, but funny thing, my sister was telling me just today about an Animal Planet show she saw recently about animal encounters caught on tape, and she described this incident. Apparently there is more tape from before and after the bite that appeared on the show.

Just looking at the clip, the first thing I noticed was that the reporter was patting the dog on the head.
Most dogs don't like that, and you'd think the handler would mention it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts