German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am leaving to another province for a weekend in a few months and the BF is tagging along for the ride. Shenzi cannot accompany us, so I was wondering where you guys think I should board her.

For you guys with dogs with issues, where do you board them? I have two places in mind, just wondering if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
A weekend isn't very long but I'm never comfortable boarding my dogs. I get someone to come to the house and stay with them. Is there any way you could do that? I noticed you said "issues," so I'm not sure if your dog likes other people. One of my trainers also has a boarding facility, so I'd feel comfortable leaving one of my dog's who trained with him there. I wouldn't like leaving them at a vet's office or a PetSmart type of place.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hey all,

I am leaving to another province for a weekend in a few months and the BF is tagging along for the ride. Shenzi cannot accompany us, so I was wondering where you guys think I should board her.

For you guys with dogs with issues, where do you board them? I have two places in mind, just wondering if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!
if she can't come with you guys then yes you should board her.

what kind of issues are you talking about?

as for recommendations on boarding talk to your vet they should be able to tell where you could board her.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I suggest taking the time to explore your options. Visit a couple quality commercial boarding facilities as well as in-home options if that is the way you want to go. See where/what you get the best feeling about.

Also, depending on your length of stay, I like to board just overnight the first time well before leaving just in case an issue is going to arise. I can then address is from home rather than from afar :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am only boarding my dog at the vets from now on for two reasons: 1) its quieter than any boarding kennel Sasha has stayed at and not so stressful 2) If something happens, she is there at the vet already.

I use to board Sasha up to a week and every time she came back with her nose torn up and limping from running back n forth the whole time because all the dogs are neurotic there. It stressed her out, so next time I am going to our vet.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
A weekend isn't very long. If you don't have any recommendations, this is what I do.

I go to Google Maps and type in "Dog Boarding". If you click on some of the places you can read reviews and try to narrow it down. Then do a drop in visit to view the premises.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We've had great experiences with Camp Bow Wow, but I don't know if they're in Canada, but I know they're spread throughout the U.S. I've not boarded my two anywhere else except with friends and family.

Veterinarians are really great for recommending boarding facilities as other members have mentioned.

·
5,627 Posts
I am only boarding my dog at the vets from now on for two reasons: 1) its quieter than any boarding kennel Sasha has stayed at and not so stressful 2) If something happens, she is there at the vet already.
An important question to ask when choosing a boarding facility or even a vet to kennel your dogs is if there is 24 hour staff. Is someone checking on your dog in the middle of the night or do they leave at closing time and not come back until the morning?

Most vets I know that board, don't have 24 hour staff so being there isn't going to help them if no one is working.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Definitely do your research. Ask specifically when they take the dogs out, whos there, at what times, how they accomodate feeding, water, etc?

My vet offered boarding, I wanted to drop her off one sunday overnight, and was told they close at 3:30PM and don't take the dogs out again until the next day at 9AM. I said no thank you and found a new vet.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
It's been our experience that vets make the worst places to board your dogs, for the reasons above. There are exceptions of course. A good friend of ours works as a vet tech and doesn't board her dog there because the dogs are left overnight with no one there and they don't get much attention. Vets offices are stressful places as well.
Good luck with your search and I agree, do some research.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've boarded Stosh with a lady who shows Dobermans--she built a small kennel primarily for her own use at her home and boards dogs for friends or friends of friends. She doesn't advertise so it's word of mouth. You might ask around at an obedience school, some breeders, police if they have a k-9 unit, places like that.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately my dog was severely abused before I got her. I've spent since april of last year socializing and training her. She will accept strangers, but only after a brief period of barking and displaying fear behaviour. After she is given a few commands and treats by the person, they make best friends. We are still in training.
I am definantly not leaving her at a Petsmart or Vet's Office. She is either staying with a sch.h training facility that also boards dogs or a 'pet resort' whose owner works with police dogs. I have already contacted the pet resort to see if they are capable of handling a dog like Shenzi.

Specific issues are people who suddenly appear. Around corners, at doorways. It totally spooks her. We are still in training. When she came to me she was wild-didnt know what sit meant wild and at 2 years old had NO socialization.

I will set up appointments to see the facilities in the nearish future. I also think having a 'test' run with me still in the province is an excellent idea. thanks!!

Unfortunatly I doubt my vet would be able to care for Shenzi in any respect. I totally get where you're coming from, but it wouldnt work in my situation. :(

But I can't leave Shenzi with anyone-they need to 'know' dogs. And preferably have experience with abuse cases.

I am researching months ahead. Who cares for Shenzi is top priority for me. And TBH, if the sch.h club or the resort can't take her, I won't be going.

Thanks everyone for your input-you all gave me great ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts