German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a wedding Friday afternoon into the evening, and won't have time to go home to take care of Joey. He's staying overnight at the vet, which is a short distance from our house.

He stayed at the vet overnight when he was neutered; was probably out of it the whole time.

He'll be in an extra-large crate; will be run 2-3 times during the day; separated by plexiglass from the other dogs.

We think he's dog-aggressive, but the vet's office is aware of that.

Has anyone boarded their dog at the vet? What were your experiences?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you spoken with your breeder? I usually board mine with my breeder. I know he can play with dogs his size and the breeder knows how to take care of this breed.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Yep. Care amenities vary from vet to vet though.

My vet has huge, plush room-sized "suites" that my trio stay in. They go there regularly for "play care" anyway, so the staff all know them, and they get "play care" sessions twice daily while boarding. The key for me is that my blind dog is well known there, so they know how to use his "notice cues" (e.g., touch, follow, step, watch out) which makes him very comfortable with the staff.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes, I've seen the conditions at our breeder and trainer and they were not suitable for me. Although my dog might be in a slightly smaller kennel, I know its clean and safe and bright. There are vet techs and staff that will check on them. If some health issue comes up I know she'll get care.

The only down side is the noise, barking. I was told Molly didn't sleep very much, but she was fed her special raw diet that I left with them. If I ever had to leave again, boarding at my vet would be my first choice.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I have boarded at the vet's although I prefer taking the Hooligans to a commercial kennel I've used for many years. I like the idea that the owners of the kennel live on the premises, unlike the vet's office which isn't staffed 24/7.

OK ... I'm paranoid ever since a vet's office in Bowie, MD burned down many years ago and all the animals were killed ... was a terrible tragedy and left me very gun shy about boarding the Hooligans anywhere.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are Joey's second owners. We got him from a family member, who got him from a breeder. Unfortunately, the breeder moved out of town quite a while ago.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I have boarded at the vet's although I prefer taking the Hooligans to a commercial kennel I've used for many years. I like the idea that the owners of the kennel live on the premises, unlike the vet's office which isn't staffed 24/7.

OK ... I'm paranoid ever since a vet's office in Bowie, MD burned down many years ago and all the animals were killed ... was a terrible tragedy and left me very gun shy about boarding the Hooligans anywhere.
Good point about hours of care. Our vet is open 24/7, constant care.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Good point about hours of care. Our vet is open 24/7, constant care.
You're so lucky!!! I know when my vet was planning her new building/kennel I begged her to put in a small efficiency apartment for a student vet to live in ... exchange the free apartment for keeping an eye on things. Her office is very close to the U of FL vet school so I'm sure she would have always had some student in their last year looking for a free apartment.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea that the owners of the kennel live on the premises, unlike the vet's office which isn't staffed 24/7.
QUOTE]

If there was someone at the vet's office 24/7, I wouldn't be as worried.

But, they're less than a five-minute drive from the house, and we'll be there as early as possible the next day to pick him up.

Next year will be harder. We have another wedding where Joey would have to be boarded over a weekend.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
*most* vets aren't set up as boarding facilities. I don't like the idea of boarding my dogs with other dogs who are being kept due to illness. **caveat below.

Ultimately boarding is a secondary business for vets and well, secondary business is treated secondary.

In blue, I would suggest you take the time to find a good boarding kennel in your area to prepare ahead of time. Go out of town for a short weekend trip and test them out. The other option is to find a petsitter. Do the same thing, take a short trip and do a 'test' run with the petsitter.

Mostly, find and establish a relationship with a professional pet care service so that when you do travel you will have a trusted place/person to put your dogs with and you'll be able to breath a lot easier.

You'll have a kennel or sitter who knows you and your dogs and travel will go much smoother!

**I know vets sanitize and quarantine and such but still, again, boarding is rarely their primary business so it's still unnecessary potential exposure.

If there was someone at the vet's office 24/7, I wouldn't be as worried.

But, they're less than a five-minute drive from the house, and we'll be there as early as possible the next day to pick him up.

Next year will be harder. We have another wedding where Joey would have to be boarded over a weekend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Usually for long stay , i drop mine with my breeder(more like a home environement with seperate kennels in back, he stays inside the house) . If for 1-2 days short stay i use dogvacay.com. It is individual provider that does boarding but this site provides insurance etc..... to provider. I bring my dog with the individual provider and see if their dog is compatible with mine. I'm lucky i'm able to find one with large breed experience, her dog is pretty much same age as mine, playing together and runs free inside the house.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My parents used to board their dogs at their vet years ago ... never had an issue.

However, our vet does not provide boarding. We use a regular dog boarding facility for our GSD Jake. The first time he was there he was pretty nervous, but he was fine after that. We pay for 2 20-minute play times and then they are let out 5 times a day to do business. They never come in contact with another dog ... they care for aggressive police dogs there as well, so they have a setup so the staff don't even have to come in contact with the dog.

If you can get over the concrete floors of the kennel, the fact that the owners live on the property and can monitor using cameras from their house gives me some comfort. We always bring Jake's bed and a few of his favorite things from home and he does fine.

He does come home pretty tired ... they don't get nearly as much sleep as they are used to due to all the people and dogs coming and going, all the barking etc. So don't be alarmed if your dog sleeps a lot after being at a facility like that.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
My part time clinic is a 24 hour hospital that does boarding as well. We are set up that the boarding facility is considered a primary boarding facility. We have day kennel staff that is the same as any other boarding facility - their job is to care for the boarded animals, nothing else.

That being said, at night the animals are alone for the most part. Sure, there is a technician on the clock, and a doctor as well, but the lights are off in boarding to help the animals sleep, and they are not bothered at night as they would be up all night barking. This is how it is in most boarding facilities - just because someone is physically in the building doesn't mean the animals are being checked in on every 30 minutes. I will check on them if I am walking a treatment dog by the room and I hear barking so I know the dogs are awake, but if they are not awake I do not disturb them.

I would not board in a vet clinic that did not have a boarding facility.

I leave for a week long vacation on Thursday, and Zeke and Berlin along with my 3 cats will board at my work while I'm gone

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I am currently Boarding Manager at the kennel at the clinic where I previously worked as a vet assistant (recently promoted, yay!). Honestly, your mileage will vary. Hugely. I've been in the back of clinics in Illinois where the boarders were put in surgery cages, taken out once a day, and hosed off in the evenings after sitting in their dirtied cages for 12 hours. Ick.
Some clinics (cough LIKE MINE! cough) are set up for boarding. We have "Clinic Side" which is a traditional kennel in the actual animal hospital area and a "Pampered Pets" side with large personal rooms and a home-like atmosphere. We have full-time staff for our kennels, and as you can see high-level boarding staff are first trained as vet assistants. We deal with clients whose pets have specific needs, like complicated meals or difficult medications. The boarding facilities are not staffed 24/7 but like Anubis_Star there is usually a staff member around somewhere in the building. Our facilities are old but they're effective.

I prefer to board my pets either in a resort-type atmosphere where they have the opportunity to mingle with other pets in playgroups or at a vet clinic. I can't tell you how many times a day I bring up a boarding dog with a question for the vet; "Rex coughed once, want to check?" or "there's a little bump on his nose, can someone look at it quick?" You'd never get that without a vet on staff. We pick up on things people never notice at home and it has translated into effective preventative treatment for many pets. Ear infections especially, and skin infections.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When we dropped Joey off, we were told we could pick him up around 11 the next morning.

Got there at 11; they said they were short handed and they hadn't bathed Joey yet (we requested it). Said we should call back around 1.

Called back at 1; Joey was just bathed and not dry yet. Said we should come back a little before 3 (they close at 3).

Giot there at 2:45; Joey seemed skittish, but otherwise ok.

Since picking him up on August 3, he's been nervous about climbing stairs. He's never had a problem before.

I don't think we'd board him there again. I'm sure he had minimal care, but no more than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts