German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be doing a lot of travel for work in June. Does anyone know of a good place to board your dog in Northern Virginia? Would like to hear your expierences.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
I concur with everyone else.. I don't board my dogs, but if I ever had to.. Kirby and Clare's place would be the only place I'd feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
We've taken Molly to two places in the area. The first was recommended by a few people (not on this board). But, Molly came back with scrapes on her face. It was an ugly experience. They didn't even take her to a vet or call us to let us know. Then, they tried to tell us the bleeding on her face was from her eye drops! PM if you want to know the name of the place.

After that, we wanted to make sure she was in good hands when we went on a trip. We did an unannounced visit to Seneca Hill Resort in Great Falls. The place was spotless! The dogs all seemed content being there too. It wasn't loud and obnoxious. The staff was very friendly too. So, we left her there the second time we went on a trip. She had a great time! She looked so rested and happy when we came back. We could tell that she was well taken care of while she was there. They are expensive. They also do not take un-neutered dogs.

Creature Comfort Inn sounds great from the recommendations above! It's really far though. We'll have to consider them the next time we go somewhere.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If your dog likes to play with other dogs, there are two other places that are wonderful in this area. Both of these places will let friendly dogs outside to play together in huge, safe, dog-park like areas.

The first is http://www.dogtownmaryland.com Craig and Cindy Jolly are wonderful folks. They are actually in MD, not too far from the Wilson Bridge.

The other place is Carlas Country Club Kennels in Catlett VA. Their number is 540 788 3559

The other places mentioned are awesome too. I have been to all four facilities.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have to repeat that CCI is the best; if you have any chance to take your dogs there, do so. It's the kind of place that treats dog like dogs and provides extra stuff that THEY appreciate, not the owners. ;-) Stuff like forest walks and huge outdoor areas. Other boarding places seem to cater for the owner's needs more.. like human-type beddings, TV, and such. I know my guys always came back happy and relaxed from CCI, while stressed and hyped up from others.
However, last weekend we just could not drive that far so they spent a night at the Fieldstone Inn near BWI. It wasn't bad either, but CCI is still the best by far, IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm wondering...I have to go on travel for work to VA Beach for a week. Does anyone think it's weird for me to find a boarding place in VA Beach? Or should i board her close to home?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Depends where you find what you need. :) VGSR has some folks in that area, maybe they could recommend you sg. Ideally you would find one next to your hotel room and take them out for walks in the evening. :))

ETA: finding a hotel that allows pets might also be an option.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I thought about getting a pet friendly hotel, but I have to use the hotels that my company will pay for. My reasoning was if she were closer to me, if anything happened, I'd be close by. I've never had to leave her for more than 3 days in a boarding facility so that's why I've been wondering what other people do.

Does anyone recommend any boarding places in VA Beach?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts