German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to grab a few days at the beach in a couple of weeks - yayyy!! This will be the first time boarding the 2 furkids. It will be at the vet office - mainly because I know they can handle Woolf and he actually likes the staff there. The boarding set up is nice - separate quiet room for the reactive dogs so they don't have to see/hear the main busy area and dogs entering/leaving, solid side walls so they can't have staring contests with the neighbor.

Maybe I am over thinking it (or is it a case of my own sa lol) or tell me if I am missing something- sending with him - his food divided in meals - they feed Science Diet and he is grain free, meds, towel that we use to cover his bed in the crate for scent. 2 things I am wondering about is a long line in case he decides to be a lunatic when out in the fenced area and chase cars along the fence that come up the driveway beside it and his muzzle in case for whatever reason they do have to move him around other dogs - they have theirs but it is the typical tight fitting kind, his is a basket.

Am I crazy for boarding him, over thinking or missing something - tell me :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Sounds like a good place if they have a separated section for aggressive or timid dogs to stay separate. I have separation anxiety if I leave my fur kid for more than a day so I haven't boarded her for quite a while -actually she stayed with my trainer in his house the only time I left her and that was only two nights. I would include his normal feed, and meds, and if he has a mat or blanket he is used to sleeping on. I know they board dogs at my vet but I have never used them. My friend used them and they took really good care of her dogs. I don't think you will need to leave the 30' lead as they usually have one handy if they board dogs. If he is used to one type of muzzle it wouldn't hurt to include that but I would put his name in magic marker or something that won't rub off on everything you leave there, that way it can't get lost. If he has a favorite chew toy that he sleeps with in his crate it's okay to include that but I wouldn't leave a bunch of toys. Most of all, try not to worry. If you didn't trust your vet I doubt you would leave your babies there. Try to not overthink it or your dogs will pick up on the nerves. While you are gone, have a good time and maybe call one time to check in on them if you are feeling lonely. Otherwise be sure to bring back a special treat for them when you come home.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As someone who runs a boarding facility, I will say we LOVE it when all the food is divided, meds are set up, etc. If I was taking Woolf in I would be happy to take his muzzle so we can use one he is used to, but you can keep the long line. Sounds like they are on top of it and you are just a concerned pet parent.
In my experience, boarding (especially first time boarding) is usually harder on owners than the dogs. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts