German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this....please move if it is in the wrong place.

I have to go out of town next week to help my daughter move. There is no choice in the matter and I am glad to go help. But we have bonded so strongly with Lizzie and she gets stressed if we are even in a different room or outside.

The trainer yesterday put worry into my head when she said that Lizzie got upset when either me or my husband walked away. So now I have to board her for 6 days!!! It is tearing me up. I can't explain it to her. She will think I have abandoned her. She has been to this vet before but she was younger and the bond wasn't as strong....I know I will be a wreck on Thursday when I have to leave her. She will get that worried little furrow between her eyes and I will fall apart.

Advice....HELP. How do I make this possible and is there any way she is going to be ok without her PACK for this long.....:(

·
Registered
641 Posts
Is there any way you can take her with you? Or either you or your DH stay home with her while the other goes to help your daughter move?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If one of you can't stay home, can you take Lizzie to the vets and board her for a few hours every day so she'll get used to it before you leave her for the six days?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We both have to go, flying out Friday morning. We tried the sitter thing but were not happy with it. Very limited resources on that. We are going to put both dogs there and the bulldog LOVES the vet and all the people there. I am going to request that they are next to each other so they can see and smell each other all the time. They go out three times a day for play and exercise and they can go out together. We are also taking her toys and her Kong with treats in it. There is a vet assistant there who really likes her and I am going to ask him to spend any time he can with her.

It is not that she hates it there, has been there all of her life. I just worry that she won't understand and will be so sad while we are away. I know we aren't supposed to put human emotions into our dogs. But once I went to the beach when my daughter was too young to understand that we would be coming back. I remember walking into the room when we returned and she just gasped and jumped in my arms as if she was shocked to see us return. I felt like she really thought we were gone for good.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Don't forget - Dogs do not have a real sense of time.

She will be fine there - it sounds like there are people there to make a special effort to take care of her.

Sounds like a great idea to take her there every day this week to get her more used to the place andf the people also.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
How old is Lizzie? I have wondered about this very thing myself??? How does one travel and not bring GSD? When is it a good time to start leaving them? I am very interested in this topic and how it goes...

·
Registered
594 Posts
The more upset you are, the more upset Lizzie is likely to be. If the "saying goodbye" part and seeing her worried face upsets you, let your hubby do the dropping off. Sounds like she'll have great care and her Bulldog buddy will be there, too. Send her off with a smile and be ready for the greeting when you pick her up. Trust me: she'll remember who you are, even after 6 days.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I realize that my suggestion won't help this time, but for the future it would be a great idea to find a kennel/doggie day camp where you could leave her while you were at work once or twice a month. That's what I did with my dogs-- I found a WONDERFUL kennel where my dogs stay in an air-conditioned 10x10 foot room and access to a 10x10 foot patio via a doggie door. They get play time with other friendly dogs and I take them for day care once a month or so. I've only had to leave them once for a few days but didn't worry a bit. When I left it was no big deal and they were tired and happy upon my return.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if i were boarding my dog i would
take him for a few test runs before
leaving him for 6 days.

i would go and hang out with my
dog for a few hours where he's being boarded.
then i would leave him for a few hours.
then i would leave for a day visit.
then i would do an over-nighter.
i would work my dog into it.

your prehand worrying might be for nothing.
your dog might do well with
no problems.

now, if i did kennel my dog with no
practice time and he did well, well
i would feel some kind of way
about him not missing me. :hammer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts