German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been in contact with Ivan's wife (I think it's his wife?) Natalia. I'm going to send my puppy to him for 4 weeks for an advanced board and train (on-leash training for now). I haven't had Sarge for that long, so I guess I just need some reassurance that I'm doing the right thing... 4 weeks is a long time to be away from my boy!

If given the chance would you guys jump at this opportunity? I hope I'm making the best choice.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'm no expert, but I do know I could not do it even if it was the right thing. Once I HAD the pup. However, the pup I have right now was reared in a "puppy raising family" who trains and socialized dogs intended to work (SDs etc). So he had his basics and was used to kids, noises, traffic, other animals, (and getting tapped on the nose with a pen for some odd reason according to the log)

It was nice, and we still have a lot of training to do, but I will admit I did not mind not having to housebreak or to teach sit stay down and here. Had I had him though, I would not have been able to send him away even for a weekend during the bonding period lol

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'll likely be going this route soon myself. Waiting to hear back from Natalia. I last spoke to her just after Christmas and they were out of country. There's a lot of people who would love to train with Ivan. Everyone I've spoken to is jealous that I'm close enough to train with them. So absolutely you're right to do this. Ivan is one of the best in the entire country

ETA: just noticed you're in brooksville. Finally someone that can fully understand my frustrations with finding a good trainer

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Nope. I'd save my money.

I think you might be getting a little starry eyed with Mr. Balabanov's, well-deserved, reputation.

But what can you actually get out of sending a 4 1/2 month old pup to a board and train for basic leash work, even if it is with a world class trainer?

This is prime bonding time for your puppy, I don't get sending him off for a month when you just got him. Basic obedience isn't difficult. I'd look into lessons where you work your own puppy under the guide of a trainer. You'll create a better bond with your dog and save quite a bit of money.

When you pup is older, and if you want to get involved in sport or have killer off leash obedience or something, then I might consider paying a premium price for a premium trainer.

But I am firmly in the bond with your pup, have fun, and learn things together camp.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Also... another question...

When dealing with very popular trainers... especially in a board and train situation... Are these trainers actually going to work your dogs themselves? Or is it their staff that does the basic pet manners stuff while the big guy works the dogs their for sports training or major behavioral issue cases?

·
Registered
646 Posts
You've only had your pup for 3wks and going to send him off for 4?

I'm with voodoo on this. You need to bond with your pup. You've taken him out of where he knows, and now he's finally settling in and you're pushing him elsewhere where he'll have to adjust and settle in only to then take him from there and resettle in with you? Seems like a lot of hassle

What is the specific reason he needs to be trained? It seems you mentioned basic leash training. Why spend the money when you can do that yourself? A lot of good info out there

At the same time, that training you do with your pup is great for forming trust and loyalty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had the option to train WITH Ivan Balabanov, I would jump at the chance. I’m curious why you are choosing a board and train option, though. Is this for sport foundation?
For now it's a straight obedience board and train. I'm not having much luck doing things on my own and he's too rough with my daughter (realistically not really, but that's a whole other thing...). After the board and train I will be doing one on one's with Ivan for a sport foundation, not entirely sure what I want to do just yet though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. I'd save my money.

I think you might be getting a little starry eyed with Mr. Balabanov's, well-deserved, reputation.
Maybe a bit

But what can you actually get out of sending a 4 1/2 month old pup to a board and train for basic leash work, even if it is with a world class trainer?
He'll be about 7 months when he goes for the board and train.

This is prime bonding time for your puppy, I don't get sending him off for a month when you just got him. Basic obedience isn't difficult. I'd look into lessons where you work your own puppy under the guide of a trainer. You'll create a better bond with your dog and save quite a bit of money.

When you pup is older, and if you want to get involved in sport or have killer off leash obedience or something, then I might consider paying a premium price for a premium trainer.

But I am firmly in the bond with your pup, have fun, and learn things together camp.
I just feel like I'm completely failing at training him. He's been regressing over the last 2 weeks even on the basics we've been doing since the day we got him.

I contacted off-leash K9 to do one on one lessons so I could learn along with him. I paid and went to schedule the first session and they told me that I should send them to a 2 week board and train for $2800 (Ivan is only $1800 for 4 weeks) because they needed to socialize him more.

I don't know what other trainers around here I would trust. The others I've talked to just rubbed me the wrong way.

I know I'm being reactionary, it's why I posted this. I've tried all the things I've read to stop him from biting and jumping while he plays. I can deal with it until he gets it down but my 5 year old daughter apparently cannot. So she's basically got a complex about it and I'm constantly holding the poor dogs collar while she's around.

I bit off a little more than I can chew lately I guess lol. Bought an old house (tons of repairs so far), got married (mixed household, my two boys and her daughter), and a high drive dog lol.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Don't listen to the naysayers. Sending your dog off to get training and then learning how to maintain it is the way to go unless you are a trainer yourself. Just be sure to ask plenty of questions at the end when they do go homes about anything you aren't sure of. It is way more likely Natalia will work with the dog than Ivan, but Natalia is better at training than pretty much anyone that frequents this board.

Having not had your dog that long and then sending the dog away to learn a language of agreement and disagreement is not a disadvantage. You'll be able to get a better start with the dog and that will carry on to the rest of your life with the dog. It is much harder to deal with a dog that has (gone the wrong way for years) and then you sent the dog off to board and train than it would be to send the dog off fairly early and then knowing how to deal with the issues as they come up, be able to get the dog on the right path and keep him there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just be sure to ask plenty of questions at the end when they do go homes about anything you aren't sure of.
One of the reasons I liked what they offered was (3) 1-hr one-on-one sessions after the 4 weeks is up to go over what was done and how to continue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll likely be going this route soon myself. Waiting to hear back from Natalia. I last spoke to her just after Christmas and they were out of country. There's a lot of people who would love to train with Ivan. Everyone I've spoken to is jealous that I'm close enough to train with them. So absolutely you're right to do this. Ivan is one of the best in the entire country

ETA: just noticed you're in brooksville. Finally someone that can fully understand my frustrations with finding a good trainer
You should email her. She told me they could get Sarge in mid-way through February. Our dogs could go together haha.

Are you located in/around Brooksville?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Grew up in brooksville and now I'm living in Spring Hill. So basically still the same area. I'm going to email her again and just make sure they haven't forgot about me.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't know what other trainers around here I would trust. The others I've talked to just rubbed me the wrong way.

I know I'm being reactionary, it's why I posted this. I've tried all the things I've read to stop him from biting and jumping while he plays. I can deal with it until he gets it down but my 5 year old daughter apparently cannot. So she's basically got a complex about it and I'm constantly holding the poor dogs collar while she's around.

I bit off a little more than I can chew lately I guess lol. Bought an old house (tons of repairs so far), got married (mixed household, my two boys and her daughter), and a high drive dog lol.
Is there a dearth of trainers in your area? That would be a tough situation. Some areas really don't have much for choices.

That being said, my preference is to learn my dog and work my dog myself, with the regular guidance of a trainer, but if you don't have a good option for that, I can understand why you'd do a board and train. If you get some sessions with Ivan or qualified staff to walk you through what they did and how to maintain it, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Maybe a bit

He'll be about 7 months when he goes for the board and train.

I just feel like I'm completely failing at training him. He's been regressing over the last 2 weeks even on the basics we've been doing since the day we got him.

I contacted off-leash K9 to do one on one lessons so I could learn along with him. I paid and went to schedule the first session and they told me that I should send them to a 2 week board and train for $2800 (Ivan is only $1800 for 4 weeks) because they needed to socialize him more.

5 year old daughter>puppy. WL puppies can be a total handful, mine was. I'd do whatever it took to make sure my child was comfortable with my puppy and keep it positive where I didn't have to rehome the pup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there a dearth of trainers in your area? That would be a tough situation. Some areas really don't have much for choices.

That being said, my preference is to learn my dog and work my dog myself, with the regular guidance of a trainer, but if you don't have a good option for that, I can understand why you'd do a board and train. If you get some sessions with Ivan or qualified staff to walk you through what they did and how to maintain it, that would be helpful.
There really aren't many trainers around here that I've found that looked competent, especially working with a high drive dog.

I'd be getting 3 one-on-one sessions after the board and train to get up to speed on continuing to work with my dog afterwards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5 year old daughter>puppy. WL puppies can be a total handful, mine was. I'd do whatever it took to make sure my child was comfortable with my puppy and keep it positive where I didn't have to rehome the pup.
That's exactly the reason I jumped towards board and train. I have all the time in the world to try, fail, try again, etc but I don't ever want my kids to be scared of dogs. Especially her dog!!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That's exactly the reason I jumped towards board and train. I have all the time in the world to try, fail, try again, etc but I don't ever want my kids to be scared of dogs. Especially her dog!!
I suppose it would be frowned upon to rehome the child.

I kid, but for real, this is just one reason why I don't have children. I'd probably lose patience with the kid and tell the kid to suck it up and deal and don't you remember what it was like when you didn't know better?? (Parent of the Year, right there. :grin2: )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suppose it would be frowned upon to rehome the child.

I kid, but for real, this is just one reason why I don't have children. I'd probably lose patience with the kid and tell the kid to suck it up and deal and don't you remember what it was like when you didn't know better?? (Parent of the Year, right there. :grin2: )
I'd be a liar if I said the thought didn't cross my mind. Telling her to suck it up... not rehoming her! lol But I can't imagine growing up being scared of dogs. They were such a big part of my childhood. I want her to feel the same way (or at least not deathly scared) about our dog.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm glad you brought this topic up. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I would go to Ivan for one on one training, but he's about three hours away from me. That's too far with my work schedule. So I was going to use my tax refund to send him to a board and train. He needs more training than I can provide alone. There is no other trainer close to me that I would feel comfortable with. I want my dog to have the best start.

I love him to death. He's loving, snuggly, playful, sweet, and fun...but he has a few quirks. He air snapped at his last trainer when she tried to lead him away from me. Granted, he was eight months old then and hasn't done it since them...but I wan to have him evaluated anyway. Also, he's become fearful of other dogs because another dog attacked him in dog class. The other dog broke out of crate while we were in the middle of an agility routine and went after him. It was not good.

And $1800 for four weeks is a good deal. Although it's going to be torture for me to be away from him that long.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts