German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible for a GSD to have blue eyes? I had never seen it before. A young dog has come through our rescue...she looks like a black german shepherd but she has blue eyes like a husky. She is so beautiful and unique...we are trying to find a good home for her.
The shelter had her labeled as a pure GSD hoping that would get her more interest but I am not sure a GSD can have blue eyes. Ideas? Thoughts?

I will get her picture so you guys can see....she is so pretty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Not that I know of. That's (from what I understand, have read and researched, and seen) a purely inuit-type dog thing. Malamutes, Siberian Husky, etc. Oh, and Australian Shepherds, and Catahoula Leopard Dogs too. (Basically inuit dogs and merle patterend breeds)

I would easily assume she's probably GSD/Husky.

EDIT: I think either way if she was labeled pure or a GSD/Husky she'd still get lots of attention. I know where I live people fawn over PB Husky-type dogs and GSD's just as much as the mixture of the two - most people seem to love the mixture of the two.

Heck, mine was even labeled as a mixture of the two!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Picture added...

for some reason in my area people are hung up on having a "pure breed". Shoot even the mutts get more attention if they are called labradoodles as opposed to a lab mix. It is sad because all these dogs are so great and really appreciate having a home. I even ended up taking an Airdale/GSD mix and he is fast becoming one of the best dogs I have ever had...such a fun dog.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
She is GORGEOUS! And I'd definitely say GSD/Husky Cross, at the very least. She looks to have little mix in her, but you can definitely see it (especially with the eyes). I wish I could take her home!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hmmm, then maybe there can be a rare instance where the genetics occur for a blue-eyed PB GSD? I was just reading about someone who had two PB AKC GSD's and all of the pups in the litter, with the exception of the one, were the dark brown eyes. The one pup had blue eyes.

Weird! I guess I learn something new everyday :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow Chance is stunning too! I guess I had just never seen a GSD with blue eyes. It is very neat to say the least. I still think they must have husky or something in the blood somewhere but they do make a great cross.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well then I guess we will just keep calling her a GSD with blue eyes. She does have some brown on her legs but not alot. The vet said she is an older puppy/young adult maybe a year old.
She is really timid right now but I am hoping with some attention and some groceries she will come out of her shell.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which rescue?

Paws of SW VA :)

I have most of our foster dogs on my FB page. We also have a website.

I also do alot of posting for the Norton Shelter and Russell County Shelter because we get alot of dogs from them.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I think the female you listed is a bicolor GSD with blue eyes.
Sorry for a sight off topic- but it might help the OP in identification...
It is my understanding that only bicolor (or sables) can have tar heels and pencil toes. I guess I mean- a black & tan (blanket or saddle back) can not have tar heels and pencil toes. Is that correct?

For the record, I had never seen tar heels and pencil toes prior to joining this forum. I love them and hope my next GSD has them. The rescue in this thread is gorgeous!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
its rare but a blue eye or blue eyes can pop up in GSDs. I believe it is seen in the Panda GSDs also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here she is with her foster fur family. :)

I will try to get better pictures. Right now she is so timid...you have to bribe her or pull her to get her to do anything. It is sad...like she is depressed or something.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
That dog is a mix though.

We had a DNA test done but the only convincing breeds were german shepherd and collie. As it turns out, I just recently spotted one of his brothers and the owner knew his parents. The mom was a GSD/wolf hybrid and the dad was a white pit mix.
I'd say the OP dog is a mix, probably GSD and Husky. Beautiful regardless though!! :D Hope she finds a home quick!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Blue GSDs have blue eyes, I dont see why a bicolor cant? Maybe there was a blue in her pedigree and she inherrited (sp) the blue eyes?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts