German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adopting a 5mo puppy, gray sable, one blue eye. Looks like a GSD......I know it ain't AKC but does this occur?

Maybe hanky panky among the parents?

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I wanna say a few months back there was a person around here with a dog that looked totally pure gsd with one blue and one brown eye.

anyone remember that?

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
If it's a sable that has 'blue' (dilute factor) expressing itself, and that very rarely DOES happen, you can get one blue eye, one amber eye.. both amber.. or even both blue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's a Craig list dog in Mansfield Ohio.
She looks to be a light grey sable with a black mask. One blue eye, one amber.....She looks very GSD.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Do you have other pictures of her or did the owners TELL you she has a blue eye?

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
19wk old Fem GSD - need to rehome (Mansfield, OH)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-05-03, 3:05PM EDT

We are looking to rehome our fem, GSD. She is 19wks old, all shots are up to date. We are asking a rehoming fee of $150.
Here's the picture

and the corrected link and http://mansfield.craigslist.org/pet/666400836.html

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I saw that picture. But to me the right eye looks brown and you can't SEE the left eye, why does the OP say it is blue. (Are my screen cloors THAT messed up?) With the angle of the picture, the "lightness" showing where the other eye is could very well be a reflection off of the light colored building she is laying next to.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Nope your screen isn't messed up, I see the same as you.

Actually wasn't replying to your post, just reposting the stuff 'cause the link didn't work for me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the owner she was in a litter of "normal" GSD puppies and they picked her because of her eye. She saw both parents and the both looked like regular GSD's. Lord knows what the truth is...

Gosh maybe I should start up a trend like that "Panda" shepherd........... (this is where I duck and run for cover).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
She is adorable!
Did you get her? If I was looking I would have.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, we did not get her....it been 15 years since we had a puppy and my hubby got cold feet. Picture very sad mom & 15 YO.

She is big boned, but looks all shep. The family is one of those that is taken in by the idea of a GSD and has no clue how much work a GSD is! You have to put the hours in! Lotsa time, cash and sweat!

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
not sure if you guys have noticed that the link has been updated and there is now a photo of her showing the blue eye. i wouldnt think that the owners would lie about it tho - obviously the potential adopter would show up and see that the dog either has a blue eye or not.

but anyway, its too bad that you guys decided not to take her. she's adorable & looks as Brightelf described which would explain the eye.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
That is most definitly a blue eye!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
What a pretty puppy she is.

I don't know enough about genetics to explain how a blue eye may find its way into a German Shepherd, however, I read on the panda shepherd site that blue eyes are found (and allowed) in that "breed", and some of their dogs have one blue eye. It would stand to reason that, if they are actually German Shepherds, it would be possible to see blue eyes in traditional colored Shepherds if the right genes combine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts