German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I miss this? I just was looking at that dog food analysis site the other day (I know I don't take it as the be all end all I was just browsing) and saw this food. Then went to petsmart and saw that they sold it there. Kinda cool that petsmart is carrying grain free, rated 6 stars on that site too.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1328&cat=8

http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs/wilderness.shtml

I don't think I had seen anything on this food around here? I guess it must be new?

Has anyone tried it? I havent bought kibble in awhile, the last kibble I bought was Orijen, but I believe this is less expensive (at petsmart today it said 47.99 for a 26 lb bag) Or not? I am blanking, we do RAW and kibble, but have been doing more RAW lately as some of the foods are just so expensive!

So, what do you guys think? I'll probably try it, but wanted to know how it compares pricewise from some people that feed another grain free kibble. I have never fed blue buffalo foods, any insight to the company or anything?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
It's not "brand new" per se - I remember seeing it in the stores over this past winter (I think - it was before we moved down here at any rate) but I think it's been easy to overlook because it seems it has just quietly appeared on store shelves without a big to-do.

As far as comparison, here's a list of the grain-free foods that my local store (Care-A-Lot Pets) carries -

Merrick Before Grain - 25.3lbs - $44.95
Taste of the Wild - 30lbs - $42.99
Nature's Variety - 25.1lbs - $49.99

Looks like the Blue Buffalo Wilderness is right in there in terms of price. Taste of the Wild seems to be the best deal for the money, considering size and price.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Blue Buffalo has been at PetCo for a while. They are now also carrying the Wellness line of foods. Not sure about PetSmart havent been there in a while. Pet Co also carries Natural Balance which is grain free.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I've been feeding Wilderness to my puppy for a couple of months. It has the lowest calcium and phosphorus percentages of the grain-free kibbles (at least of any that I can find/get in this area). I buy it from Complete Petmart, 26 pounds for $44.99. They have a buy 12, get the 13th bag free card, plus if you sign up for email alerts you can choose certain foods to get coupons for--I've gotten 3 coupons for $5 off. It works out to be about $1.50 per pound with the coupons.

~Kristin

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

well it seems like there isnt that many people that have used or tried it. Not like how you hear so much about innova or orijen

I think I will try it though

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Steph, that might be because it hasn't been around as long as some of the others.

~Kristin

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
true!!

thanks for the tips on the coupons by the way! and glad to hear you like it.

i was excited about it as petsmart is closer than alot of the stores that sell grain free foods, and I go there to pick up other things as well so it would work out nice!

one of the store around here that sells some of the more premium foods also sells puppies
in cages that probably come from some mill. so i hate giving them my business and like that petsmart supports rescue

thanks again

·
Registered
277 Posts
my shepherd is on this food and looks amazing and he does really really well on it...definitely give it a shot!
I do this and raw for my guys. Blue is good stuff!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Can't say why people are comparing this food to "grain free" formula since it uses "oatmeal" and "barley" in the ingredients

It does look good though but to be put in the league with other grain frees is not correct since it does use grains.

JMHO on this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts