German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow...I had no idea...I have not been on in awhile...So i have not seen this...I think we will definitely be changing the food though...Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
Quick question. There have been numerous posts about BB recalls in the past few weeks. Are they all about the same recall, or are multiple recalls being issued?

·
5,627 Posts
No, it is all about the same recall. It was originally back in August that it was issued.

It's due to a high vitamin D level which led to some cases of vitamin D toxicity.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
From what I can tell it was too much vitamin D. I'm going to keep feeding the food - my two do well on it and BB seems to have handled the issue.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I did my homework on it, researched, spoke with rep, etc. It was one run with July dates only and was specifically to certain geographic areas. All of the information is detailed on their site. The rep told me that though the vit d levels were within official dogfood range (whatever that is), that is was not within their own Blue standards so they issued the recall. Mine are on WIlderness and I''m not planning on switching.

·
5,627 Posts
It was one run with July dates only and was specifically to certain geographic areas.
The official statement on their website shows recalls on bags with other dates. Maybe the reference to July dates was that they were manufactured in July. However, the bags that are recalled have different expiration dates through Oct 2011.

From the website:
These are the ONLY code dates being recalled:
Product........ Bag Size........ Best Used By Dates
BLUE Wilderness Chicken (Dog) - 4.5 lb., 11 lb., 24lb. - - JUL1211B, JUL1311B, JUL2611Z, JUL2711Z, JUL2811Z

BLUE Basics Salmon (Dog) - 11 lb., 24 lb. - - AUG2111B, AUG2211

BBLUE Large Breed Adult Chicken - 30 lb. - - SEP 22 11 P, SEP 23 11 P, OCT 26 11 P
I know the format isn't great but I'm not so good at that. If you want it direct from the site, the link is in my post earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I had my GSD and my GSD/Husky mix on BB Blue Wilderness for a while without any problems but then I bought a new bag of their Duck formula and they got extremely sick. They started vomiting, my GSD threw up 5 times in one day, they had a hard time pooping and had very runny stools. After being on that food for almost 3 days I took them off of it in the morning and didn't feed them the rest of the night. The next day I cooked beef and rice for them and bought some TOTW and mixed it in. They did not have any more problems and they have been on TOTW ever since.

I told my local feed store about BB Blue Wilderness Duck making my dogs sick and she informed me that she had 2 other complaints about it as well. She contacted BB Blue Wilderness and sent back all of their food. I wrote an email to Blue Buffalo and they did not reply. I continue to feed my 3 cats BB Blue Wilderness and have had no problems but my dogs will not be eating it again.

·
Registered
585 Posts
we feed blue, but it is not any of the recalls...But we are still switching...
my dogs love it, but ryder is actually losing weight on it, i have noticed sophie limping rather its from that or her just being silly idk...But they really just don't seem as active as they were...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts