German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
6 days ago when Idun pooped there were bloods in her diarrhea. She did not show sign of pain/fatigue. She vomited twice on that day with no blood. I gave her goat milk and raw beef steaks(no bones, nor organs) and she ate them enthusiastically as usual. She lost appetite to Vital Essential freeze dried raw, but still likes Venture Wild Boar kibbles. Two days later she vomited again and there were a small amount of blood. No blood in her stool after the first day.
When I discussed the possible causes with her vet, I realized that the only unusual thing happened before her bleeding was that Idun vomited badly hours after I gave her heartworm prevention chewable and Nextguard. I know it is normal that dogs vomit because of the pills, but can it cause bleeding? Is it like the pills killed some sort of worms? I am waiting for the result of her bloodwork so probably it will find something. X-ray shows that she has gas but cannot find the causes.
Font Paper Paper product Handwriting Document
Font Material property Paper Paper product Document
Rectangle Wood Grey Flooring Font

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
705 Posts
I’ve never had a dog get bloody stools or vomit from those. Loose stools sure but not bloody diarrhea. I do separate giving them by two days and make sure they have a full stomach.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’ve never had a dog get bloody stools or vomit from those. Loose stools sure but not bloody diarrhea. I do separate giving them by two days and make sure they have a full stomach.
It is a good idea giving them by two days. I shall do that too! She has been taking the same pills for three months so probably I should not blame it. I did give her a full meal before the pills but unfortunately she vomited all the food she ate..

·
Registered
303 Posts
I give heartworm prevention about 2 weeks apart from flea/tick prevention if I am giving monthly flea/tick medicine. I recently noticed my dog gets diarrhea when given the chewable heartworm prevention, so I’m going to start looking for a different kind. No bloody diarrhea though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give heartworm prevention about 2 weeks apart from flea/tick prevention if I am giving monthly flea/tick medicine. I recently noticed my dog gets diarrhea when given the chewable heartworm prevention, so I’m going to start looking for a different kind. No bloody diarrhea though.
I will definitely give her the heartworm prevention days apart from flea/tick prevention after this incident. She took Heartguard plus for one year. The bleeding happened four months after I changed it to Interceptor for a wider coverage. She always takes Nextguard for flea/tick (thus around two years). I am considering switching back to Heartguard plus if the bloodwork did not find anything either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
Her bloodwork is completely normal too. I am going to do an MDR1 test.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or, it could be the Nexgard.
Thanks! I did not think of Nexguard because she had been taking it for a longer time than she did with Interceptor, but it could be slowly poisoning her.. same as how her allergies developed. Another problem is that I gave Nexguard every month even though it is unnecessary to do so during the freezing cold months in Michigan. I am going to pause it from this winter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is too young to have HSA but I read about it anyway. I will do titer tests instead of vaccinations(except for rabies) and start to give her turkey tail powder..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally don’t like anything that kills things inside a dogs body- I gave them to my dog and she was excessively salivating and running into walls. We don’t give humans this crap to keep them safe from Lyme disease? Right? Why do u think that. I don’t get how anyone thinks it’s okay to give a dog medication where they vomit from it and pet parents say it’s normal. It’s not. Look I get that heartworm is gnarly and tick borne diseases are too: I’m in NJ it’s infested with ticks, I hike, bike, run etc all over the trails with my dogs I spray my dogs with natural repellents( they are not 💯) I wash them down with a natural tick shampoo after we get back and I brush and check when I get home it’s time consuming but it’s worth it to me that I’m not poisoning them. I’ve had many friendnds who’s dogs developed blood in urine and stool on prolonged usage of the drug ( not right away like urs) I test my dog 2x a year and she is going on 8 years old & she’s negative for all. I would highly reconsider the next dose in your situation.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I'm glad they're sending out the test for pancreatitis. That's typically caused by eating a bunch of fat, but it can have other causes. It's very painful, and it tends to flare up again once you have an episode of it, so even if it resolves, you'll be looking at dietary changes if that's what this was.

I have a dog who gets pancreatitis flares -- he has to kept on a very low fat diet. He takes Simparica monthly without any problem, and we use topical HW prevention.

Your raw meat and goat milk are as likely to be culprits as the meds here. Just because it worked in the past doesn't mean it always will -- when a food intolerance develops, it sometimes comes out of the blue. And if you happened to get a fatty cut of meat or fatty goat milk, that could trigger pancreatitis. My dog used to be able to eat 80/20 raw meat. Now he needs 90/10 cooked meat because of the pancreatitis...he's just not able to handle anything fattier, or raw, like he once did.

The report says the dog's spleen was normal, so hemangio isn't on the list of concerns. Don't go looking for trouble you don't need there! If you want a good multiple-mushroom and botanical supplement though, look at Dr. Harvey's Solaris. It has things in it in addition to the medicinal mushrooms that settle my dog's sensitive tummy -- expensive, but it's a really nice combination of ingredients.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad they're sending out the test for pancreatitis. That's typically caused by eating a bunch of fat, but it can have other causes. It's very painful, and it tends to flare up again once you have an episode of it, so even if it resolves, you'll be looking at dietary changes if that's what this was.

I have a dog who gets pancreatitis flares -- he has to kept on a very low fat diet. He takes Simparica monthly without any problem, and we use topical HW prevention.

Your raw meat and goat milk are as likely to be culprits as the meds here. Just because it worked in the past doesn't mean it always will -- when a food intolerance develops, it sometimes comes out of the blue. And if you happened to get a fatty cut of meat or fatty goat milk, that could trigger pancreatitis. My dog used to be able to eat 80/20 raw meat. Now he needs 90/10 cooked meat because of the pancreatitis...he's just not able to handle anything fattier, or raw, like he once did.

The report says the dog's spleen was normal, so hemangio isn't on the list of concerns. Don't go looking for trouble you don't need there! If you want a good multiple-mushroom and botanical supplement though, look at Dr. Harvey's Solaris. It has things in it in addition to the medicinal mushrooms that settle my dog's sensitive tummy -- expensive, but it's a really nice combination of ingredients.
I forgot to add that her vet ran the test for pancreatitis along with the bloodwork and she said "The test for pancreatitis (cPL) and the chemistry and electrolytes all normal" but you are right to say she needs to be on a low fat diet. The risk of pancreatitis increases with aging. I am not giving her goat milk or raw beef after the vet visit. The beef steak I gave her had no visible fat but the goat milk was indeed whole-fat.
I know it is unreasonable to suspect HSA as it (seems) never happens to adult dogs younger than 5 yro but well..that was my first thought (the other one was that she ate her toys). Thanks for the recommendation! Idun was doing awesome with Dr. Harvey Paradigm and I like this brand. I just read the ingredients of Solaris and they looks good. I like the idea that they have two different recipes for mornings and nights. I already ordered a bottle of Super Shrooms at a local store but an online review says it is using myceliated mushrooms. I will try Solaris as a long-term supplement instead.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally don’t like anything that kills things inside a dogs body- I gave them to my dog and she was excessively salivating and running into walls. We don’t give humans this crap to keep them safe from Lyme disease? Right? Why do u think that. I don’t get how anyone thinks it’s okay to give a dog medication where they vomit from it and pet parents say it’s normal. It’s not. Look I get that heartworm is gnarly and tick borne diseases are too: I’m in NJ it’s infested with ticks, I hike, bike, run etc all over the trails with my dogs I spray my dogs with natural repellents( they are not 💯) I wash them down with a natural tick shampoo after we get back and I brush and check when I get home it’s time consuming but it’s worth it to me that I’m not poisoning them. I’ve had many friendnds who’s dogs developed blood in urine and stool on prolonged usage of the drug ( not right away like urs) I test my dog 2x a year and she is going on 8 years old & she’s negative for all. I would highly reconsider the next dose in your situation.
Yes, I think the advised dosage of HW prevention might actually be higher than what a GSD needs. Another user here mentioned that she was using 1/5 of the dosage because it was good enough for preventing HW itself (not including worms). I am not confident to change the HW prevention dosage but I will definitely consult her vet about it after an MDR1 test.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To me this doesn’t really sound like pancreatitis or medication related. Blood from the GI tract related to medications is a bit odd. It sounds like colitis or gastritis. I wonder if some omeprazole would be beneficial. It’s a fairly safe medication, it helps lower the amount of stomach acid. I wonder if it’s worth asking about.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To me this doesn’t really sound like pancreatitis or medication related. Blood from the GI tract related to medications is a bit odd. It sounds like colitis or gastritis. I wonder if some omeprazole would be beneficial. It’s a fairly safe medication, it helps lower the amount of stomach acid. I wonder if it’s worth asking about.
It is worth asking. I sent an email to her vet asking about the possibility of colitis and gastritis. Thanks for suggesting it!

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
FWIW, Dr. Harvey's products are eligible for coupon codes at OnlyNaturalPet.com (and there's money back through Ebates/Rakuten) with them. They usually have Paradigm (which is an awesome food) and Solaris in stock. It's usually the lowest price I can find when the codes and rebates are stacked.

One other thought -- is your dog emotionally sensitive? One of mine gets "stress colitis" when his routine varies (e.g., in boarding). It produces small piles of poop that looks like bloody jello. The first time I ever saw one of those piles, I was in a state of panic, afraid the dog was bleeding out internally....but it's a pretty common ailment for some dogs. A round of Flagyl/Metronidazole is sometimes prescribed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, Dr. Harvey's products are eligible for coupon codes at OnlyNaturalPet.com (and there's money back through Ebates/Rakuten) with them. They usually have Paradigm (which is an awesome food) and Solaris in stock. It's usually the lowest price I can find when the codes and rebates are stacked.

One other thought -- is your dog emotionally sensitive? One of mine gets "stress colitis" when his routine varies (e.g., in boarding). It produces small piles of poop that looks like bloody jello. The first time I ever saw one of those piles, I was in a state of panic, afraid the dog was bleeding out internally....but it's a pretty common ailment for some dogs. A round of Flagyl/Metronidazole is sometimes prescribed.
That is a nice coupon website! I have an Rakuten account too for buying electronic devices so that is handy.
Idun is anxious in every vet visit so yes she is emotionally sensitive. Her vet prescribed trazodone for it. The day before she had bloody diarrhea she was upset because of the prevention pill vomiting, but I did not stress her out with boarding or similar situations. Unfortunately her poop was not the bloody jello you described because I touched it, looked and smelled it very closely to make sure it was blood. It has a strange stinky smell(not because of the poop, it was more like women’s period blood). I can not rule out colitis because it is a sensible explanation even though there were bloods. I am waiting for a reply from her vet. Thanks, I learned something new about colitis!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts