German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short we are taking Odin in to get some blood work done and stool sample.

Over the past 2 years he’s had random diarrhea and he did have his stool tested with nothing coming back.

lately he’s just not keeping on weight as he gets taller and is slightly thinner then we would like. you can see his ribs and his waist is a little too defined. He’s is An active dog but I don’t want to over feed so I am getting some blood work done as I am sure he has some digestive issues.

is there anything particular I should as the vet to test for In his blood? I feel like he’s not getting all the nutrients. I do give him probiotics and fish oils

but I know there has to be something that’s causing these stomach issues with him. We deal with it about 2x a year of random loose stools. We switched vets as our vet was not very helping with this issues. We would ask for stool test and since they came back negative a few times she just never went any further with helping us actually address the issue.

I am thinking of switching him to Merrick‘s hypoallergenic diet as I think part of could be his food and it not having enough fiber. He’s currently on TOTW buffalo and venison and gets Some cooked raw or canned rotated in with it. He was on the puppy formula before this.

I have try to switched to other food but he would take it or it caused digestive issues. But I think this new food will be better for his tummy.

Anyone go through anything similar? I’ll try to attach some photos.

I truly think he has something wrong with his digestive system and hopefully this vet can help us figure it out. This office seems more invested his both my dogs care then previous ones.

I know that GSD aren’t supposed to be heavy and he still has some room to fill out and gain a few pound, I’m not overall considered about weight too much as I am with his stomach issue

i tried to get photos but he’s hard to stay still for pictures standing up

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
You certainly know your dog and by all means have him thoroughly checked out if there’s concern, but I will just add that loose stools (I’m imagining just lasting a day or so), twice a year, is not alarming. Stress, excitement, heat, water sources, something they eat, etc can all cause a bad stool every now and then.

His weight actually I sn’t that alarming to me either... sure a few more pounds would suit his frame better, but he’s 2 and bound to fill out soon. Is he still intact?

edit: but to answer your question... epi, sibo and food allergies are the things you’ll want to discuss.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Not sure how old your very handsome dog is, but occassional loose stools is pretty normal.

At one point my dog, when she was young, was eating twice the amount recommended on the bag, and was still very lean. So age matters, activity matters.

But if it were my dog, I'd up their food intake before going with a LPS or hypoallergenic dog food!

Just feed him more and see if that helps. You can also add some pumpkin puree (without additives, very important!) as that often helps to firm up their stools.

Anyway, your dog is a little lean, not bad, so feed him more and see first if that doesn't resolve the problem entirely...just MHO!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@tim_s_adams @Fodder thanks for the advice!

it’s can get pretty bad when it happens mostly happening for about 3-4 days of constantly having to use the restroom but no other symptoms.

Currently I’m feeding him 4 cups a day about 2/3 cups more then recommended.. should I feed him more then that? He eats all his food whether he gets just dry or something Added.

Any digestive enzymes and probiotic recommendations? His stool sometimes doesn’t feel as solid as it can be, but I could also just be over analyzing.

My female is dealing with anal glad issues and also is seeing the vet this upcoming week to have them expressed and I just order her some anal glad support. She’s been in once to get them expressed before. Having some issue forming her stool up, but her issues having been as ongoing as his. I just don’t think neither are getting enough fiber in their diet?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds like what my pup had/has. We did bloodwork. Found a b12 lower than what it should have been although still within normal limits. Her bloodwork was not indicative of epi but the vet decided to start her on a tylosin/b12 regimen. We are currently off of tylosin after a 2 week weaning period. And we have one more b12 shot, this weekend and then more bloodwork in 30 days to determine the next course of action. Just my experience. And we were having the same thing. Except once every 3 months. And the diarrhea was explosive. It was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
OP, how long have they been on TOTW? How long on fish oil? How long giving probiotics? Are both of the dogs getting these supplements?

Since neither of your dogs have consistent ideal stools, and they’re siblings... I’d assume the same thing may be going on with both (putting the weight issue aside for a bit), start feeding them only their kibble for awhile (no extra meat or canned food either). If the stools still aren’t great, I’d personally try another food.

in general, things like added meat and fish oil and all that can be very beneficial but doesn’t always work for every dog and alongside every diet.

bloodwork is always a good thing, for a baseline, but digestive issues can quickly send you down a rabbit hole and at this point, what you’re describing.... I just don’t know that I’d be searching for rabbits just yet.

are you still in contact with their breeder or any littermates?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Great looking dogs!

I am not alarmed by their weight either.

Here are 2 quality probiotic/digestive enzyme combinations:

The Wholistic Pet "Digest-All Plus": Probiotic/Digestive Enzyme combo: Digest-All Plus

Mercola Pets "Whole Food Digestive Probiotic": A Probiotic/Digestive Enzyme combo; Whole Food Digestive Probiotic for Pets (94g per Container): 1 Container - Mercola eCommerce

Or from Amazon: Amazon.com : Dr. Mercola Pets Whole Food Digestive Probiotic - 3.32oz, 94g : Pet Supplies

My Holistic vet has said that if there are food sensitivities or anal gland issues, avoid any food that contains corn, potato, oatmeal, wheat, rice or soy. So read your labels carefully.

IF....you do decide to change foods, people have had great luck with the following:

*Dehydrated Food - 100% Human Grade Ingredients - The Honest Kitchen. I would begin with one of their Limited Diets which contains 1 protein: All Natural Dehydrated Dog Food

*Kibble: Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet - One Protein: Instinct® Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe with Real Lamb | Instinct Pet Food

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Fodder they’ve been on TOTW or about a year and a half. And fish oils off and on for around the same time. I am starting to think it might be there food.

we’ve decided to do a deworming And fecal exams for both, also look into a food to switch too and add a probiotic/digestive enzyme. And blood work later on down the line If neither of these work out plus we did want todo blood work anyways on them this year.

@Momto2GSDs thank you for the suggestions! I’m going to look into their food more I did stop giving them can and notice the bottom itching eased up on Layla and I gave them a little bit today and it started up a little kore aggressive. Looked on the can and it does contain a few of those ingredients! So did the other brands we tried switching them too. I will look into switching their food to a different brand/formula and add some Higher quality probiotics/digestive enzymes in the mean time.

I called our previous vet And went over my invoices from them and it turns they never got their last deworming. The lady at the desk said the vet noted in the chart that she didn’t give them to them.. doesn’t say why and we were charged but never informed to bring them back to get it.

So we are gonna start at the basic again with our new vet. Deworming. Fecal exam. Add some supplements and try switching foods in June. Hopefully this helps out and if not then we will know what to look for in their bloodwork we rescheduled for August.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
i’d make one change at a time... deworm while on current food, then do a slow transition (at least a week) from old to new food... allow them to remain on the new food for a bit, then if you still choose to, add supplements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts