German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a huge list of allergy my dog is allergic to.

cylsporine works good with her no sides she is happy one it but not alone she needs her pro/pre/enymes and omegas

The only meats shes allergic to is duck lamb and chicken

Isnt this strange? I thought it would be beef

Corn and eggs also!

plus a billion enviromental things. MOLD! is a big one.

Should i stay on cylsoprine or do the shots? The vet said ii only have 2 options of treatment. The allergy med does work great. What if the shots do damage? Worried.

Her diet is great she is not given those meats anymore anyways. She could never handle chicken from the start.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I don't know if this weird or not. Our previous dog had dust and mold and some plant allergies. She did seem to grow out of them, plus I tried to keep the house clean for her, vacuuming under the beds and sofa, places you don't normally get to.

We thought our current dog, Molly had food allergies. But everything cleared up when we switched to a raw type diet. Now she can tolerate all proteins. But need to watch out for fats. If beef is too fatty then it upsets her a bit.

What type of shots are you getting? Are you concerned about physical damage or just too many medications? You can ask your vet if the shots go into the muscle or under the skin ( subcutaneous). A shot under the skin should not do much damage. Diabetics shoot up daily. In the muscle can hurt.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
while cyclo can work miracles, I don't think I'd want my dog on it long term, of if so, I'd be doing kidney/liver function tests as well as cbc panels every six months atleast.

Cyclo is a powerful drug, I just wouldn't be comfortable having my dog on it 'forever'.

What does is she on?

What are the 'shots'?

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
We used cyclosporine for Zoey's allergies for about a year, weaning her off over the winter. She is still showing some allergy signs this summer, but not as bad as last year. We will use it again if her symptoms worsen, but so far so good, maybe she's outgrowing them.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
shots are the typical allergy shots

its either that or cylysporine there is no other way that i am aware of for a dog that is allergic to everything.

yeah i can do the kidney/liver tests once every six months u think?

if you go off allergy med everything will come back i am sure. Just like people

My dog looked good and did not itch much because of carmens products it did not look like my dog had a huge problem. But my vet took the test and was like WOW your dog has some serious enviro allergy. So it was carmens products that just kept her looking normal and feeling nice plus her daily fooot washes and coritsine spray but life like that for my dog is not fair she deserves to be allergy free. Daily sprays, foot washes all that does not stop it and you know that they are still silently suffering Just not nearly as much as they would be without it or without the supplements i buy from carmspack which makes her immune system sky rocket. I watch her like a hawk every inch of her so things never got bad.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
sent you a PM that included egg yolks / whole raw eggs as a source for vitamin B particularly pantothenic acid - now I see your dog has an egg allergy. Are you sure?

if yes, make the mixture without eggs- add more liver I guess.

also take advantage of pork ribs , ground pork

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I have heard those allergy tests usually produce a whole laundry list of allergies. So overwhelming to filter through.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Eggs products are in most vaccines, aren't they????

I would not want to use cyclo in a dog long term unless it was a very serious illness, particularly in a GSD who is susceptible to all sorts of infections, which cyclo increases susceptibility to.

If you can control some of the allergens, both food and environmental, you may be able to help him better control his symptoms. For example, getting rid of any food allergies might help him better handle his environmental allergies. There's a thread in the holistic section that might have some ideas for you.

I would opt for allergy shots over cyclo.

Remember that your dog may still have some food sensitivities that don't show up on the allergy test - it's a different physical reaction, so carefully challenge each new ingredient. Personally, I see more chicken issues on the forums than beef, but that might be because so many foods have a lot of chicken, though I think most vaccines have some beef products in them.

·
Registered
31,765 Posts
Good point Lisa. I would ask your vet whether the vaccine is grown in egg cells. You can titer for distemper and parvo but you still have to give the rabies.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank god u told me that

after she gets her shots her temper is insane for a few days she just wants to murder something

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
thank god u told me that

after she gets her shots her temper is insane for a few days she just wants to murder something
Interesting!

Now you know why, and better yet, you have a medical reason to help you get the vets off your back. Any dog that has had parvo/distemper vaccines when their immune system has matured shouldn't need them anymore. Rabies of course is a whole different issue! Bacterial vaccine protection is not as long-lived, but most of the bacterial vaccines are highly recommended anyway.

Heck, I think some vaccines use chicken embryos too? Anyway, sounds like a good idea to avoid unnecessary and redundant vaccination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts