Hi Jennifer and WELCOME!! :greet:

Get a urine specimen to the vet asap!

Could be a UTI or other things.

Bright red blood or dark ?

Moms :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
10yro neutered GSD peeing blood this morning. Any ideas or suggestions. He is eating and playing normally.
You need to take the dog, not just his pee, to the vet asap. If he is lucky, it will be a bladder infection that can be treated with the right antibiotics, or a type of bladder stones that can be treated with a prescription diet. Delay in diagnosing and treating either of these can result in very expensive and life-threatening problems.

He will need X-rays and/or an ultrasound to check for bladder stones, and yes, they will also need to check his pee.

There are other possibilities, like bladder cancer.

Whatever it is, he needs to see a vet NOW. The problem cannot be diagnosed or fixed with a forum chat.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sorry for being blunt but if your dog has blood in his urine, what are you doing asking us in the forums? This should be an instant visit to the vet. As far as I know, there's no vet in these forums and if there was...I'm pretty sure they'd say, "get to your vet ASAP." Again, I'm not trying to be mean, just being "realistic."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pee started out rusty and got darker as stream continued.
This (total hematuria) indicates that the blood is being formed before the urinary bladder and therefore within the ureters or the kidney itself.
It is critical for you to get your 10 year old to the vet ASAP and to allow them to perform whichever test is necessary to identify the cause of the hematuria. If you find that he is behaving normally, you don't necessarily have to rush him/her to the emergency clinic but you should get him/her in first thing in the morning.

Thanks for sharing your concerns here at on forum and I hope that you do follow up with the diagnosis and treatment.
Your experience will aid any person who types this in the search bar with similar concerns to take action as necessary.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
OP, I hope you come back and can give us a good update reporting that your dog is doing better!

For anyone in the future searching and reading this thread, here are a few of the possibilities that would worry me based on supervising vet care for hundreds of dogs in rescue over the years:

-UTI/bladder infection (probably the most likely & most treatable)

-leptospirosis (risk depends on whether it's locally endemic, dog's vax history, and whether there are exposure opportunities)

-other causes of kidney damage (disease and/or toxic exposure)

-end-stage heartworm disease/caval syndrome (in dogs not kept on prevention)

-cancer (due to the dog's age, this probably ought to be looked into)

I'm sure there are others that I'm not even thinking of. A UTI is the most minor and easily treated but still very painful...and dangerous if not treated (any human who's had one knows how miserable the feeling is -- I wouldn't want any dog to go through that for days without treatment).

FWIW, our rescue's vet and I have agreed that it's worth the extra cost to culture most UTIs to check for abx-resistance now, as we have been seeing some very nasty, hard-to-treat bacteria unfortunately. The lab results are confirming that abx-resistance is no longer something that's coming -- it's already here. I honestly think it's worth the extra $100 or so to send it out to a lab and make sure you're hitting it with the right med -- some vets hesitate to suggest culturing because of extra costs, so have that conversation if you can afford to do the right diagnostics.

·
Registered
766 Posts
102 is not a fever. Temperature of 101 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit (38.3 to 39.2 degrees Celsius) is typical for dogs.

Sunsilver had the fever, not her pup ;) Human temp of 102 is very NOT fun.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
kr16, if you reread my post, you'll see I was the one who had the UTI, not my dog!!

And 102 F is definitely a fever where humans are concerned.

Edit: note to self: read WHOLE THREAD before replying...lol!

Yes, it was just before Christmas, and I was bloody miserable...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts